Twenty-Nine

Theodore hands Jacob a can of root beer and casually leans against a metal rail. "Here's some soda."

They still have a good 45 minutes before the movie is set to begin.

"Thanks," Jacob responds. "Are you feeling better now? You seemed pretty tired in the car. I don't mind driving if you'd like."

Theodore leers at him. "No, thank you."

Jacob raises an eyebrow. "Aw. You don't trust me."

"I saw you park. It was terrible. How did you pass your road test? You paid a lot of money, didn't you?"

"I didn't. I'm bad at parking, fine. But I can still get us to our destination."

Theodore sticks his tongue out. "No, not gonna happen–"

"Jacob?"

Jacob and Theodore simultaneously pivot on their heels. Before them stands a taller man with a larger build. His skin boasts a flawless complexion, his eyebrows are neatly groomed, and his lips glisten, likely from the application of chapstick. He extends his hand in a friendly wave.

"Hey, Jacob. I knew it was you," he mutters happily.

"Oh. Hi, Andy. Didn't expect to see you here."

Andy finally gazes at Theodore. "Hello, I'm Andy."

"Theodore," Theodore replies as nonchalantly as he can. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you." Andy then returns his attention to Jacob. "How have you been? I haven't heard from you since..." He pauses, the unspoken memory hanging in the air.

Jacob inserts a hand into his back pocket. "I'm... I'm great. I'm in law school."

"Finally pushed through with it, huh?"

"Yeah, I'm going into my third year. How about you? Still in med school?"

Theodore realizes that Andy is the son of the doctor--the ex Jacob mentioned years before. He discreetly glances at Andy from head to toe. He's tall and looks neat. What he doesn't miss is the same air of confidence he used to sense from Jacob.

"Yes, I'm doing my residency," Andy replies, shooting a look at Theodore.

He picks up on it and says, "I'm Jacob's classmate. In law school."

"He is my boyfriend," Jacob inserts. "We're here to watch a movie together."

"Oh, I see..."

Andy takes his time to size him up. Theodore fixes his posture and doesn't look away. Andy folds his arms and smiles.

"You're in good hands, Theodore. You're lucky you're dating this guy." He takes a step back. "Okay, I'm off now. It's nice to see you, Jake. Nice to meet you, Theodore. See you later."

"You too, Andy," Jacob utters, then waits for Andy to be out of earshot before facing Theodore.

"Yes, yes. He is the ex I told you about before. His father is my father's colleague."

"I didn't ask anything."

"It shows on your face."

Theodore sips his pop. "You seem to be on good terms. I guess you had a nice run."

"I suppose. The breakup was mutual, so it wasn't really awkward."

"You were a good boyfriend to him."

"I'm good to people I like."

"Right."

Jacob rubs his forehead. "Why does it feel like I'm being interrogated?"