19. Honourable and Upright

I was engaged in intercourse with Jenson and Martin when a hand called, "It slows, sir. The hammering slows."

As we paused to listen to the continuing thwacks and their reverberations from the oaken hull, another called, "Two mallets now, not three."

"Might be opening another firkin of oakum," came a third voice.

Everyone stilled and focused on the rhythmic blows of the two caulkers, continuing uninterrupted. Then two became one, and a minute or so later, when it also fell silent, I called, "Give it a few moments to confirm."

Then, standing with the crew's eyes on me, I raised my arms and shouted a huzzah, and all soon joined me, adding shrill whistles and hoots.

As the clamour subsided, I motioned to Jenson and Martin. "Come, let us go meet the boat."

While we walked through the glade toward the inlet, I said, "The tide is now halfway down, so when we right her, she will sit on the bottom, her keel and the slope of the sea bottom leaving her somewhat acant. Might be best to hold her a few degrees short of upright, lest she fall too far to starboard."

"Aye, my thought, as well, sir," Jenson replied. "And with the ebbing, pumping will not gain. We need to await the next flood to float her free."

"But with the continued pumping, two or three hours after the turn should do that. Allow us to move out and lay to anchor in deeper water before sunset."

When we arrived on the strand at the head of the inlet, the longboat approached, and I called, "Well done, all!"

"Thank you, sir," came a chorus of voices.

As the boat's bows slid up the soft sand, I pointed over my shoulder. "Grilled lobsters, baked potatoes, coconut meat and tankards of ale await."

"Do you not wish to inspect, sir?"

"Not now, Bosun. We shall do that while you eat and take your ease. We have eighteen new crew, and they will –"

"New crew, sir?"

"Shipwrecked. All hale and in fine spirits. This is Mister Martin, their First Officer."

After the introductions, Bosun said, "I now see the reason for all the huzzahs and hollering."

"Some of it. Come, you will learn it all from the others."

While we walked back, I questioned Bosun about how he sees easing Atlantica from her careen. Then, with this information, I asked, "How many hands required for that?"

"We needed sixteen to heave her there, sir. But a goodly part of that was to overcome the reeving through the blocks. Easing the wraps around the bitts should want no more than eight, the friction now assisting."

"And on the pumps? How many?"

"Two pumping and a relief on each, so nine, sir."

"Who is best to oversee all of this?"

"Hudson, sir."

"Excellent. I know him."

When the sea came into view beyond the mouth of the glade, Bosun said, "Fortunate that we arrived when we did, sir. The winds have died."

"Indeed, a bit concerning. Unusual for the trade winds to go calm."

"Possibly the sign of an approaching tempest, sir. The proverbial calm before the storm."

"Aye, my thoughts, as well. I shall check the barometer when we reboard."

"Barometer, sir?"

"The technical term for a weatherglass."