Chapter 23: Marry Me?

E M B E R

The cool breeze brushes against my skin as I step out onto the porch of my house. I gaze out into the vast expanse of my territory, and a sense of calm washes over me. It's good to be back here, even if I know my stay is temporary. I feel a twinge of delight and let out a contented sigh, taking in the sights and sounds when a familiar figure walks by. I smile and call out, "Good morning, Landry! How are you today?" 

Landry spins around, startled, and then calms down with a smile. "Oh, hello, Alpha! It's good to have you back. How do you do?" 

I shrug. 

"I'm doing great. Just a little bored. Dexter hasn't let me do anything since I came back." 

Landry laughs cheekily. 

"We all want you to rest and gain strength, Alpha." 

I roll my eyes and cross my arms. "I know, I know... anyway, where are you taking those barrels?"

"Oh, these," Landry looks over at the barrels, then at me. "Christie needs the barrels for a party at the Grim, you know, for one last time!"

"Ahh!" I nod. 

Yes, one last time before we become a part of the pack that the union of Sebastion and me would form. That's why I have to return, leaving him against our wishes and wolves' wishes so we can tie up loose ends before forever binding ourselves and our packs together. I faintly smile at the thought when Landry's voice reaches my ears, "Of course, you are most welcome to join us, Alpha! After all, we all exist because of you." 

I blink back at him. "Huh?" 

"... but it's okay if you don't want to," he mutters, sounding slightly disappointed before quickly recovering. "You need rest, and that's way more important than anything else..." "Sure, I will try to join you guys." I interrupt him and clear my throat, "I feel a little better now, and as soon as I get my schedule sorted out, I'll try to join." 

"Oh, Great!" His face lit up. "We all will be eagerly waiting for you, Alpha."

I chuckle. "No worries. Just have a good time!" 

He nods in understanding, takes leave, and walks away. I return to staring at the front and notice two boys playing with sticks. They wave at me and say, "Hello, Alpha!"

I raise my hand to greet them when I spot a toddler crawling behind her two brothers. Right before I step forward to assist, Rachel calls out to her children, "Laurie, Joe!" She hurries to discipline the kids and picks up her daughter before acknowledging me and giving a respectful nod. "Alpha," she greets me politely.

I nod and point out, "She's so cute!"

"She sure is." 

I watch little Millie coo and snuggle up to her mother. "Anyway, where do you think Dex is?" I ask Rachel directly, without any hesitation.

Rachel looks puzzled and shakes her head. "He said he was going to meet you. Didn't he show up?" 

I shake my head and sigh. "No, he didn't." I wonder where he could be. We have a lot of paperwork to finish.

"So, it's happening, isn't it?" Rachel says softly. 

"What do you mean?" I glance at her and see her shrug. "I mean, we're joining the Midnight Hunters." Oh. I nod slowly. A brief silence falls between us before I clear my throat. "You're not unhappy about the move, are you?"

Rachel gasps and looks at me with disbelief. "Are you kidding me!?" She exclaims. I raise my eyebrows as she catches herself and apologizes. "Sorry, Alpha, but really? Are you serious?" She breathes deeply, runs a hand through her glossy hair and scoffs, "Why would I be unhappy? We've always wanted you to be happy and have someone to support you. And now you do. It was a bit strange when you first told us about your situation, but it doesn't matter. As long as we're with you, everything will be fine. More than fine, actually."