Chapter 23: The Hope Devouror

Laughter echos in the small cottage that sat by the river of a waterfall.

The house was warm with a lit fire and decorated with mementos of memories long past.

"And though it was mainly the brave Scanlan Shorthalt who slayed the dreaded dragon Umbrasyl and freed the city of Westruun from its tyranny, the rest of Vox Machina also contributed in minor yet unspecific ways. The end."

The old gnomes reads as the two youngsters were siting in front of him, listening to the story.

The old gnome lowers the book and reveals himself as Scanlan Shortholt. "Ooh, read it again, Grandfather." his grandson asks him. "Can you, please?" his granddaughter asks.

Both shared a look. "The Dragon part was so scary." his granddaughter said with a smile, both a hard frown at him. "So scary." his grandson agreed.

Scanlan just laughs at the two. "Oh, I-I don't know. It's, It's almost time for bed. What does your mother say?" he asks as he looks at the door that leads to the kitchen.

Their mother steps out with a tray in her hand, "Well, all right. Maybe one more story." Kaylie answers with a smile on her face. Both children cheer in excitement. "Then off to bed with ye," she informs.

Scanlan just chuckles with excitement. "All right. Gather round, kids. You're about to hear how I single-handedly led Vox Machina through the ancient mines of Kraghammer." he states, adjusting his glasses.

But as he looks at the book, he blinks for a moment, "Uh, wait. What?" he questions as the words on the pages seep, changing forms and making two giant words.

"Wake up? I, uh..." he spoke, confused for the moment. He closes the book and lowers it. Then looks at his two Grandchildren who were turned away from him.

"Scanlan, come on, man, Open your eyes. Come on, Shortholt, please!" his Granddaughter spoke, turning to him with Vax's voice and face. "Scanlan, wake up!" his grandson shouts as he turns with Kyria's voice and face.

Scanlan just became more confused, "Huh?" he mutters as Kaylie marches towards him and grips his shirt, forcing him out of the chair with a grunt and looking right into her face.

As it was morphing into Vax, "You have to wake up!" she shouted at him, reaching out.

~8~8~8~

The two loom over him, "Scanlan!" Kyria calls out, Vax sighs as he rolls his eyes "Aw, fuck it. Move." Vax orders, Kyria looks at him, moving out of the way.

He reaches down and pulls at Scanlan's chest hairs. Scanlan jumps with a startle as he cries out and presses his head to his chest. He pants and looks up at the rogue that pulled at his chest hair.

"Vax! What in the hell? I was having the best dream." he complains, Kyria rolls her eyes and stands to her feet, wobbling as she maintains her balance.

"Well, welcome back to your worst nightmare," Vax informs as he stands to his feet and shoves him exactly where they are. Scanlan looks around. "Huh? Oh. Oh, shit." he states as he realizes.

They were still inside the stomach of the ancient dragon, Umbrasyl as he was currently flying away.

With the Barbarian and Paladin, clinging onto a rope for dear life. "I hate this plan!" Jason cries out as Umbrasyl roars and Grog lets out a battle cry.

The others just watched as the dragon was flying away, hearing Grog laughing and Jason shouting in the distance. "That was their plan? Go up it's ass?" Pike complains.