Chapter 21 - Ghost (Part 2)

"Normally keeping a changing vampire next to the sire's magic is best to ensure success, but I do not think my presence is helping much

"Normally keeping a changing vampire next to the sire's magic is best to ensure success, but I do not think my presence is helping much." Talamayas said. "If he is close with Horus Cinder, taking him to his side could make the difference in his survival. It's just as important for Rodney to know that a desired life awaits him as it is for there to be sufficient power put into the change. Go now, or it may be too late to save him."

Ghost stood, shifting Rodney to keep his face leaned against him for comfort, one arm supporting his knees and the other around his back, but he turned back to where Talamayas still knelt on the ground. "Will you be at the complex later this evening, Talamayas?"

Talamayas flicked his near dead eyes up, surprised by Ghost even talking to him. They had been too long apart, Ghost too long wallowing. His master knew Ghost had come here for Rodney and not him, which hurt him, but it wasn't as if Ghost had not wanted to be there for him as well. If Rodney were not dying, he'd stay by Talamayas side, help him through his grief, and never leave until Wren returned. Talamayas did not do well alone.

"I have to relay to Forest that he need not chase Echo Silver, I suppose." Was all Talamayas managed in answer, standing with a tremor to his movement that showed his fatigue and sinking despair.

"Once I return Rodney to Horus, I would like to be by your side again," Ghost's words brought life into Talamayas' eyes enough for him to meet Ghost's. "My heart aches for Wren as well, and I care for you beyond measure. I will not leave you alone when you are in greatest need because of something so foolish as my own weakness. Will you be here?"

"Yes, Ghost. I will be here." Talamayas closed the space between them and bent a knee just enough that he could place his forehead on Ghost's. The heat against his school skin brought a rush of affection and completeness that he had not felt in years. It had been so long since he'd fought, pressed to his master's back, an additional pair of hands invisible to his adversaries.

"I will return to you tonight, Talamayas. That is a promise on my life," Ghost whispered, wishing that he had a free hand to ease against his master's face.

Talamayas managed a smile, and the tears overflowing his crimson eyes dulled the hue to near pink. They drove tears into Ghost's eyes, and he bit his lip with agony as he turned from his master and dropped into a transportation spell beyond the barrier. Leaving him was heart rending, but Rodney would die if he didn't make haste.

Ghost had never dared venture this deep into Cinder territory and while the border patrols were thinner without Blaze's men, closer in to the complex was a bit trickier. No door had been left unguarded, so Ghost could only pick which man was the least likely to kill him while he was busy holding Rodney. Everyone was on guard with the sun set, so no one was going to allow his approach without magic at the defense, but he managed to at least find a familiar face.

The man who'd passed money to Horus manned one of the side doors, and Ghost dropped right in front of him with Rodney. It scared the living hell out of the poor man, no older than Helia, but he straightened and grumbled his frustration as he recognized Ghost's face.