Chapter 21 - Ghost (Part 1)

Ghost was going to stop wearing clothes to sleep

It wasn't like he was desperate for the warmth or comfort of such things anyway. The first twenty years of his life he'd spent naked in a pen of other human slaves, so stripping to sleep would be as familiar as anything else. It was certainly better than peeling off his pants and dumping himself in the shower again. If he had time, he'd slink back into a corner like a pervert and bask in the smell of embers and sex that Helia had smothered him in moments ago. There were more pressing matters than his erection on his spandex though as he slipped into his assassin garb.

Ghost didn't even need to leave his corner of the castle to hear the Copses and the Arcs running around like chickens with their heads off. Instead of using the window as a door like he normally did, he headed down the corridor into the main center of the castle. The leader of the Arcs, Neil, stood at the communication terminal, his silver ponytail of hair trailing the backs of thighs, though he was as short as it was. The body of a eighteen year old never grew once changed into a vampire, but the crimson eyes that flipped to Ghost on his entrance echoed his true age and position of command.

"Ghost," Neil acknowledged him, a grim line pinching his lips in as his eyebrows furrowed in concern and almost what seemed like pity. Something had happened aside from the issues with Pyre at the pit.

"Tell me," Ghost said, knowing Neil might keep it from him if he thought him too fragile to bear it. That had been the truth for years, but with Stone out of the void and his brother and new love depending on him for strength, he was as solid as the castle beneath his feet.

"There was an attack on the Sols, Ghost."

Ghost's heart stopped.

"No one was killed," Neil said quickly before the world flipped like a coin. "As far as Talamayas has relayed, a few Songs escaped his slaughter decades ago, and they kidnapped Wren. The Songs think he was brainwashed into serving Talamayas, so we don't think he's in life threatening danger at the moment, but Tala is off the rails. Demolished a city block into melted mush, near murdered Pyre Cinder, and he let Echo Silver slip his confinement just for the pleasure of hunting him down."

Ghost took off before Neil had finished speaking, flying from the highest window he could manage in the castle to make it as far as possible to the barrier. It came at him as languid as sap down a tree, and he threw himself into a transportation spell to the city above the pits. Voices marauded him, cries of the injured as well as curses and yells of frightened vampires and mages alike. All of them died as he homed in on the energy that mattered.

Talamayas.

It wouldn't be hard for a child mage to find it the way it flared out and consumed a chunk of the city. His master was at the edge of the mage complex's barrier field, though his magic was a steady flow throughout the area. It was not wavering as if he were fighting anything, and Ghost's heart sank as he wondered if he was too late. The trek over buildings, down the fire escape, and out into the alleyway where Talamayas knelt on the asphalt couldn't have gone by quick enough.