68 | safar

❝Ishq mein dard ki ishq hi hai dawa

THE FINAL: PART I

Month 2

A piece of her had almost given up on ever hearing those words. I am pregnant. Laila's hands curled into his soft shirt. In the moonlight she looked into his red eyes, waiting for him to shatter her dream. To tell her that he was just messing with her. Though his eyes told another story, he was dealing with his own storm, thousands of shadows passed over him. Fear mixed with happiness.

"We are going to be parents," she whispered. Her soft voice held the hope and anticipation that was going to forever change their life. This time for better. "I'm going to cry." She warned, her voice quivered and her eyes filled up with tears.He gently held her face, cradling in his hands.

"It's okay." He nodded, letting her spill her happiness. She had waited for so long.

"Oh my God." She breathed, putting her forehead on his chest. Everything she had been holding within her, spilled out. She was going to have a baby. "Shehryar." She sobbed.

"I'm terrified, Laila." Knotting his hand in her hair, he held on to her, whispering barely. "My heart won't stop beating so fast. What if..."

"Breathe." She stepped back, putting her hand on his heart. She looked into the darkness of his eyes. Fear clouded his happiness. He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. His heartbeat significantly went down. "Trust me." She whispered

"More than my heart."

This time she cupped his face, threading her fingers through his beard.

"We are going to have our baby penguin." His tears spilled onto her hands as he nodded. "Sher Khan is going have a baby brother."

"Sister." He cut her off. Her lips curved up as he argued with her in between all this.

"Whether it's a boy or a girl, we'll take care of the baby with all of our hearts and strength. Do you remember the penguin families?" He nodded. "That's how we'll take care of the baby. The way those penguins kept the little penguins protected under their wings."

"Our baby penguin." He closed his eyes, holding her in his arms as happiness within him unfurled.

The morning after weaved an air of surreal serenity as they sat around the breakfast table. Laila's heart longed to share this news with Malka, but she wanted to see Malka's face when she would break the news to her. As Inaaya carefully spooned eggs in Zeeniya's eager mouth, her eyes narrowed on Laila.

"You are hiding something." Inaaya's eyes held a swirl of curiosity as she accused her friend.

"No I am not." Laila cradled her chai cup delicately to her lips as she feigned innocence. Shehryar leaned back in his chair as he put his arm on the back of Laila's chair. Inaaya glanced at him and he smirked before glancing at Zeeniya.

"As much I love it when you both babysit my daughter, I'm not giving her to you." Inaaya pulled her daughter in a protective embrace. Zeeniya blinked at her mother's sudden behavior.

"Why not? This way she will at least grow up around normal people." Shehryar continued to mess with Inaaya.

"Are you calling me and my husband crazy?"