Chapter Twenty-Five

Fanart of Ash by one of my followers on tiktok! I love it so much, Ash looks so cute in this! Go check out her instagram, she's so talented!

If anyone else has fanart they'd like to share, feel free to message me, I love getting fanart.

Now onto the story :)

The next day notices proclaiming Umbridge as the new Headmistress were up all over the school, but those didn't explain how everyone at Hogwarts seemed to know what happened the previous night. Every single person within the castle seemed to know that Dumbledore had overcome two Aurors, the High Inquisitor, the Minister of Magic, and his Junior Assistant to escape.

Everyone also knew that besides Marietta (who was sulking in the hospital wing and refused to let anyone except Madame Pomfrey see her because of the acne), Harry and I were the only ones who'd seen it happen firsthand. We were asked to recount what had happened in Dumbledore's office several times throughout the day.

"Dumbledore will be back before long," said Ernie Macmillan confidently on the way back from Herbology after he and Karl listened intently to Harry tell the story. "They couldn't keep him away in our second year and they won't be able to this time."

Karl agreed. "After dealing with Umbridge, they'll probably be begging Dumbledore to come back."

"You know, the Fat Friar told me and Karl..." Ernie dropped his voice conspiratorially, so Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I had to lean closer to him to hear, "... that Umbridge tried to get back into his office last night after they'd searched the castle and grounds for him. Couldn't get past the gargoyle. The Head's office has sealed itself against her."

"What did she do?" I asked.

Karl smirked. "Apparently she had a big tantrum."

"Oh, I expect she really fancied herself sitting up there in the Head's office," said Hermione as we walked up the stone steps into the entrance hall. "Lording it over all the other teachers, the stupid puffed-up, power-crazy old —"

"Now, do you really want to finish that sentence, Granger?"

Draco Malfoy had slid out from behind the door, followed by Crabbe and Goyle. His face was alight with malice.

"Afraid I'm going to have to dock a few points from Gryffindor and Hufflepuff," he drawled.

"It's only teachers that can dock points from Houses, Malfoy," said Ernie at once.

"Yeah, we're prefects too, remember?" snarled Ron.

"I know prefects can't dock points, Weasel King," sneered Malfoy. "But members of the Inquisitorial Squad —"

"The what?" asked Hermione sharply.

"The Inquisitorial Squad, Granger," said Malfoy, pointing toward a tiny silver I upon his robes just beneath his prefect's badge. "A select group of students who are supportive of the Ministry of Magic, handpicked by Professor Umbridge. Anyway, members of the Inquisitorial Squad do have the power to dock points. So, Granger, I'll have five from you for being rude about our new headmistress. Macmillan, five for contradicting me. I don't know who you are," He said, looking at Karl, "But all those piercings make you an eyesore, so five for that —"

"Hey!" Ernie snapped, stepping forward. Karl grabbed his shoulder to hold him back, which seemed not unlike a Doberman holding back a chihuahua. "Don't say that about my —"

"Another five because you're threatening me now, apparently," Malfoy said, "Five because I don't like you, Potter. McKeon —" He hesitated, but I was done trying to put up with him.