21. Ending the Beginning *

"No one is as lucky as us" ~ Where The Lines Overlap, Paramore

Slowly, my eyes flicker open and I sit up slowly, my head spinning slightly.

Where am I?

What happened to Voldemort?

And what happened to the Stone?

I look around and figure out that I am, in fact, inside the Hospital Wing.

Harry is in the bed beside mine, already awake.

And surrounding us are numerous get well cards and lollies.

We both smile and laugh at the sight of so many gifts.

"Good afternoon, Harry and Haylee," Dumbledore says as he walks slowly into the Hospital. "Ah, tokens from your admirers?" He adds.

"Admirers?" I ask.

"What happened in the dungeons between yourselves and Professor Quirrell remains a complete secret, so naturally, the whole school knows." He explains, making me chuckle slightly.

"Aaah, I see that your friend Ronald has saved you the trouble of opening your Chocolate Frogs," Dumbledore says as he holds up an empty package.

"Ron was here? Is he alright? What about Hermione?" Harry questions.

"Fine. They're both just fine." Dumbledore reassures us.

"But what happened to the Stone?"

"Relax, dear girl," Dumbledore tells me. "The Stone has been destroyed. My friend Nicholas and I have had a little chat and agreed it was best all around."

"But then, Flamel, he'll die, won't he?" I ask sadly.

Dumbledore frowns and sits at the foot of my bed.

"He has enough Elixir to set his affairs in order. But yes, he will die."

"How is it I got the Stone, sir?" Harry inquires. "One minute I was standing in the mirror and--"

"You see, only a person who wanted to find the Stone - find it, but not use it - would be able to get it. That is one of my more brilliant ideas." Dumbledore smiles. "And between us, that is saying something."

"Does that mean, with the Stone gone, that Voldemort can never come back?" I ask hopefully.

"I'm afraid there are ways in which he can return. Harry, Haylee, do you know why Professor Quirrell couldn't bear to have you touch him?"

We shake our heads.

"It was because of your mother. She sacrificed herself for you two. And that kind of act leaves a mark." Dumbledore explains, and both Harry and I instinctively reach for our matching scars.

"No, this kind of mark cannot be seen. It lives in your very skin." Dumbledore corrects us.

"What is it?"

"Love, Haylee and Harry," he says. "love."

He the gets to his feet and catches sight of a pack of Every Flavour Beans.

"Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans." He says, picking up the package and smiling fondly. "I was most unfortunate in my youth to come across a vomit flavoured one. And since then, I've lost my liking for them. But I think I could be safe..with a nice toffee."

He pulls out a jelly bean and eats it.

"Alas! Earwax." He says before turning and leaving the Hospital Wing.

*~*

Harry and I leave the Hospital Wing with clean, fresh robes, to find Hermione and Ron waiting for us in the Gryffindor common room.

Ron has a few bruises and scratches, but apart from that, they're both completely unharmed.

"Alright there, Ron?" Harry and I ask in unison.

"Alright. You?"

"Alright," we say, shrugging our shoulders. "Hermione?"

"Never better."

The four of us enter the Great Hal together for our final feast of the year.

It is also the time for Dumbledore to announce the House Cup, but we all know that Gryffindor doesn't stand a chance.

"Another year gone." Dumbledore begins. "And now, as I understand it, the House Cup needs awarding. And the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor with 312 points."

There is a very weak applause and we all sigh sadly.

"Third place, Hufflepuff with 352 points."

Another relatively weak applause.

"In second place, Ravenclaw with 426 points."

That means that Slytherin has won...

"And in first place, with 472 points, Slytherin house."

Slytherin all clap loudly and the banners in the Hall change to green, with snakes upon them.

"Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin, well done," Dumbledore says. "However, recent events must be taken into account."

Hold on...is he implying what I think he's implying?

"And I have a few last minute points to award. To Miss Hermione Granger, for the cool use of intellect while others were in grave peril. Fifty points"

We all clap and cheer for a blushing Hermione. I squeeze her hand and we share a smile.

"Second, to Mr Ronald Weasley, for the best-played game of chess that Hogwarts has seen these many years, fifty points."

Ron smiles proudly and we clap for him.

"And third, to Mr Harry and Miss Haylee Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage. I award Gryffindor house sixty points."

Percy pats my back proudly as Gryffindor applaud Harry and me.

"We're tied with Slytherin!" Hermione says excitedly, making me and the others around smile in disbelief.

"Finally, it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award ten points to Neville Longbottom."

We all cheer madly while Neville looks in complete disbelief.

"Assuming my calculations are correct I believe that a change of decoration is in order," Dumbledore announces.

He claps his hands and the green banners turn into scarlet red, patterned with yellow lions.

"Gryffindor wins the house cup!"

We all jump to our feet cheering and yelling happily at each other. We then remove our pointed hats and throw them into the air, along with every other house apart from Slytherin.

For spilt second, amongst the screaming and hugging of us Gryffindors, Malfoy and I lock gazes.

He doesn't glare at me and he doesn't make any snide comments.

Instead, he flashes me a smile, small but genuine.

Wait what?

My thoughts are ripped from him as the Weasley twins pull me into hugs.

__________________________________________________

Last chapter of book 1 guys !!

I can't believe it

The next update will be the Epilogue.

*this chapter has been edited*