17. Detention in the Forest *

"And now I've lost my god-damned mind, it happens all the time" ~ The Drug in Me Is You, Falling in Reverse

The time of our detention came around very quickly, and before we knew it, it was time to meet Filch outside the castle.

"A pity they let the old punishments die," he says as he leads us outside, "was a time detention found you hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons. God, I miss the screaming."

Great, we're in the company of a madman who's only friend is an evil bloody cat.

"You'll be serving detention with Hagrid tonight." He tells us as Hagrid appears from his hut. "He's got a little job to do inside the Dark Forest."

Dark Forest? As in the Forbidden Forest that we're strictly forbidden to enter?

"A sorry lot, this, Hagrid," Filch says, and Hagrid sniffs in reply. "Good god, you're not still on about that bloody dragon, are you?"

"Norbert's gone," Hagrid says sadly, "Dumbledore sent him off to Romania to live in a colony."

"That's good then," I spoke up. "He'll be with his own kind there."

"But what if he don't like Romania? What if the other dragons are mean to him? He's only a baby after all."

"For god's sake, pull yourself together. You're going into the Forest. Got to have your wits about you."

"The Forest? I thought that was a joke. We can't go in there." Malfoy cries. "Students aren't allowed. And there are...werewolves."

"There's more than werewolves in those trees, lad. You can be sure of that." Filch says darkly. "Nighty-night"

"Right. Let's go." Hagrid says. We follow him and Fang into the Forest, all of us extremely cautious and scared.

After a short while, we come across a small puddle of liquid. Hagrid kneels down and dips his fingers in it, revealing a thick silver substance.

"Hagrid, what is that?" Harry asks.

"What we're here for. See that? That's unicorn blood, that is. I found one dead a few weeks ago." Hagrid explains. "Now, this one's been hurt bad by something. So, it's our job to go and find the poor beast."

Our job?

"Ron, Hermione, come with me," Hagrid says.

"Okay." Ron whimpers.

"And, Harry and Haylee, you'll go with Malfoy."

"Okay. Then I get Fang." Malfoy says.

"Fine. Just so you know, he's a bloody coward."

We go our separate ways, and Malfoy begins complaining almost instantly...

"Wait 'till my father hears about this. This is servant's stuff." He whines annoyingly.

"If I didn't know any better, Draco, I'd say you were scared." I mock, making him glare at me, looking a little embarrassed.

"I'm not scared, Potter," he snaps, as a loud gust of wind appears behind us.

He jumps and looks over both shoulders.

"Did you hear that?"

"Not scared, terrified." I mutter, and I can literally feel his death stare.

We walk in silence for a long while, before Fang begins growling.

"What is it, Fang?" I question. I then look forward to see a hooded figure feeding from a unicorn.

An intense pain suddenly rips through my scar and I let our a whimper of pain. Harry does the same.

The figure looks up and growls, making Malfoy scream in terror. He and Fang bolt, leaving Harry and me alone with burning foreheads and a potential murderer to deal with.

The figure begins approaching us and we start backing away frantically. So frantically that we both manage to trip and fall backwards onto our backs.

But then, before the shady figure can reach us, a centaur leaps forward and chases the figure away.

He turns to us and we pull ourselves to our feet.

"Harry and Haylee Potter, you must leave. You are known to many creatures here. The Forest is not safe at this time. Especially for the two of you." He says.

"What was that thing you saved us from?" I inquire shakily, trying dusting dirt from my back.

"A monstrous creature. It is a terrible crime to slay a unicorn. Drinking its blood will keep you alive even if you are an inch from death. But at a terrible price. For you have slain something so pure that the moment the blood touches your lips, you will have a half-life. A cursed life."

"Who would choose such a life?" Harry asks.

"Can you think of no one?"

"Do you mean to say that that thing that killed the unicorn, that was drinking its blood, that was Voldemort?" I ask anxiously.

"Do you know what is hidden in the school at this very moment?" The Centaur asks.

"The Philosopher's Stone." Harry whispers, as Hagrid, Ron, Hermione, Malfoy and Fang run into the scene.

"Harry! Haylee!"

"Hello there, Firenze," Hagrid says, "see you've met our young Mr. and Miss Potter. You alright there, Harry and Haylee?"

We both nod silently.

"Harry and Haylee Potter, this is where I leave you. You're safe now. Good luck." Firenze says before galloping away.

But if Voldemort's after the Stone, can Harry and I ever really be safe?

__________________________________________________

The song of this chapter is The Drug In Me Is You by Falling in Reverse.

***song involves swearing***

Just so you know, I will always do that ^ when a song involves swearing, but as I get into the later books swearing will come into play quite a bit.

*this chapter has been edited*