Wattpad Original
There are 22 more free parts

XLVI: Something Builds

Ch. 46: Something Builds

Before following Jano, Iara gave her mermaids two orders. First, the freshwater mermaids were still in charge, so every single Sentinel would be tied up, gagged, and brought to the patio to await judgment. Second, Mara—the one who had hurt her sister—would be tied to the tree and stay there until Iara came back.

If Iara didn't come back after one hour, the mermaids were ordered to cut down the Kerana tree at all costs and leave, taking Mara to face judgment underwater.

Doc showed up not five minutes after Iara was gone, surrounded by a small number of disarmed Sentinels and two wide-shouldered mermaids carrying spears. It had taken some convincing for Elena to let Tayná's squad fetch Doc in the infirmary and a lot more for Mara to convince Uah that the Sentinels wouldn't, as he had said, try anything.

"He's a good doctor," Mara had told Uah. "And I think Teresa needs one."

Doc checked up on all the wounded, and his long, white, braided beard almost touched the floor every time he crouched to work on the people spread on the patio floor. And even though Uah still reinforced Iara's orders and kept every Sent tied up and gagged, Doc had managed to bandage and clean the wounds of every person in that place.

Teresa had received most of his attention, though.

"So you don't have a carotid, like humans?" Doc asked. "Here." He pointed at the sides of his neck.

"No," Uah said. "Different anatomy." After Doc finished bandaging Teresa's wound again, Uah tied his wrists a lot more gently than he'd been with some other Sents. Uah continued, "And before you ask, no, I won't elaborate on that. Our different anatomy is one of the things protecting us from you." He gestured around himself as if to show the entire HQ.

Doc chuckled. "Well, I'm glad."

That gave him pause. "Glad?" Uah mumbled. "What would make you glad in the things I said?"

"About this difference, I mean. The carotid was my biggest concern when I saw her wound." Doc stared at the darkening, bandaged area on Teresa's shoulder. "If she was human, she'd be dead. Whoever attacked her aimed right for the jugular."

"Like a predator," Uah said. Mara felt his attention brushing against her thoughts, even while his eyes remained set on his sister.

"What did you say happened, Child?" Doc turned to Mara and sat on his haunches.

"I didn't say anything," Mara answered.

Mara, Doc, Uah, and a couple of other mermaids sat in the shade of the big Kerana tree while the rest of the Sents had been corralled on the far side of the patio.

Uah had said that he'd keep Mara there so she could see how superior the mermaid's warriors were and how easy it would be for them to get what they wanted. Mara knew better. She could feel that he just needed someone to keep him company in the midst of so much violence and pain.

He could've chosen someone better, though. Someone who hadn't bitten a piece off his sister, for instance.

Mara lowered her gaze to Teresa and let out a sigh. "I'm just that I'm glad she'll survive."

"We all are, Child," Doc said with a smile. "Is there anything else I can help with?" Doc asked.

Uah shook his head. "I...thank you. Human." With a gesture, the two big mermaids escorted the old doctor back to the group of prisoners and sat him down beside Elena.

Mara sighed. While Doc walked away, Mara thought she'd seen movement at the very corner of her eyes, but when she looked, there was nothing there but a small pile of turned-over dirt. She brought her attention back and looked at the wounded mermaid.