32. Chapter (Words That Incite Sentiments)

Upon waking in the morn, Eliza found herself fatigued, her eyes puffy and worn. Instructing the maid not to fully unveil the curtains, she sought solace in the subdued light, yearning to reclaim some of her elusive sleep. Her appetite remained absent, prompting her to decline partaking in breakfast. When Arden entered the room, her already sombre mood deepened.

"But you did defend me yesterday, certainly," she uttered quietly.

Arden's grin appeared, and he settled into a chair, drawing it nearer to her bedside.

"You are aware that our father's words carry a measure of truth. He is not one to inflict harm intentionally."

Eliza sighed. "If you came to tell me just that, then you may leave now."

"Descend to the dining room and partake in the meal; abstaining won't alter his disposition. Moreover, Lord Gray shan't be present at the table, sparing us and the sustenance from the taint of his haughty gaze."

A brief interlude of quiet lingered between them before Eliza inquired: "What is your opinion of Lord Daniel Gray?"

Arden contemplated for a moment, adjusting himself in the chair. "I believe, under more favourable circumstances, we could have formed a genuine friendship." Surprised, she gazed at him, ready to pose another question, but he pressed on,

"He is a man of pride and possesses a keen sense of justice. His words, crafted to strike at the vulnerabilities of others, render him rather insufferable. Yet, on several occasions, he has demonstrated a rational mind, notably in preventing your abduction. Moreover, he seemed inclined to shield you yesterday. Pray, have you considered him a potential suitor?" he inquired, raising an eyebrow.

Eliza, in response, rolled her eyes. "Never. I merely... at times, I find him perplexing. It's as if his spoken sentiments do not align with his actions, though I struggle to find the precise expression for it. Simply put, I find it challenging to place my trust in him despite the kindness he has shown. Every commendable act is swiftly counteracted by some other folly or affront directed at me."

He nodded. "Then your attitude is understandable. But let me ask you this - if the Gray family were to gain the contracts and our estates... would you consider marrying him?"

Eliza had a ready answer for that: "In that case, I would be the last person on earth he would want to wed, and that settles it."

Arden shook his head in disagreement. "Eliza, you know very well that there is at least one solution to every situation. Sometimes that solution may not be pleasing to either side... but in the end, it ensures the continuity of our lives as we know them."

"What are you trying to tell me, Arden?" Eliza asked sternly. "Certainly not that I should compel Lord Gray into matrimony?!"

"That would be my suggestion. However, you ought to accomplish it before the chest is discovered."

Eliza snorted indignantly. "Have you been thrown off a horse, or has your reasoning taken leave of its senses?! If you persist in offering such preposterous notions, you might as well take your leave."

Arden grinned but held his tongue. He understood the futility of further debate. After all, he had discharged his duty—the one their father had entrusted to him. Rising from the chair, he thus granted his sister's desire as well.

Following the conclusion of breakfast, the same maid who roused Eliza in the morning entered her chamber bearing a message, beseeching her to hasten to her father's study on the ground floor. Eliza, already attired for the day, harboured a certain apprehension about the impending discourse with her father. Her heart quickened its pace, and her hands trembled slightly. She was uncertain about what more her father might convey to her, beyond the harsh words he had uttered during dinner. With a heavy heart, she entered his study, yet the sight of a smile upon his countenance alleviated some of the tension within her.