19. Chapter (Rejecting A Nightmare)

Historical Insight:

*laudanum - Laudanum is a potent tincture of opium, a highly addictive narcotic derived from the opium poppy plant. In the Georgian era, laudanum was widely used as a pain reliever, sedative, and treatment for various ailments. It was administered orally and was particularly popular due to its effectiveness in alleviating pain and inducing sleep. However, its addictive properties and potential for overdose were not well understood at the time, leading to widespread misuse and addiction among both the upper and lower classes. Laudanum was available without a prescription and was commonly used to treat everything from headaches to menstrual cramps to anxiety. Its use persisted into the Victorian era before stricter regulations and increased awareness of its dangers led to its decline in popularity as a medicinal remedy.

 Its use persisted into the Victorian era before stricter regulations and increased awareness of its dangers led to its decline in popularity as a medicinal remedy

Eliza opened her eyes and found herself in her own bed, within the comforts of her home. Sunbeams gently illuminated the room, and a subtle hint of musk filled the air. She swiftly recollected the events of the previous evening, but her memory faded as she entered a particular chamber with Emmett Leighton, the Duke of Kent. The subsequent moments seemed to evade her recollection for some inexplicable reason.

"Have you awakened, my fair lady?" a voice startled Eliza.

She jolted, sitting up promptly in bed, and could hardly believe her own eyes, for on the other side of the bed lay Emmett, grinning mischievously. He rested there, almost unclothed, with only a sheet concealing his modesty.

"What brings you here?!" she exclaimed.

He simply smiled, extending his arm in her direction. Taken aback by the unexpected gesture, she hesitated momentarily, but he skilfully guided her closer. Subsequently, Emmett began placing kisses upon her neck as an expression of his affection.

"Cease this at once! What are you doing?!" Eliza protested.

"You belong solely to me, do you hear?! Only mine," he fervently replied, overpowering her with his physique.

Disgusted by his advances and single touch, she attempted to push his face away with her hands. However, his countenance suddenly transformed into one of anger, as the corners of his mouth downturned. He firmly grasped her throat, and Eliza sensed the constriction of air within her lungs. She desperately pounded on his shoulders, but her efforts only prompted him to tighten his grip, until her breathing ceased entirely.

 She desperately pounded on his shoulders, but her efforts only prompted him to tighten his grip, until her breathing ceased entirely