Forty-two

Westlife - Puzzle Of My Heart

~

NEVER GIVE SOMEONE AN opportunity to figure out your weakness.

My car feels empty and cold without her in it. And my brain is overrun with thoughts of her, despite the fact that I just saw her few minutes ago before I left the house to go meet up with Jason—he interrupted my movie time.

I don't watch movies, talk more of animated kiddies; never in my thirty-three years on Earth did I ever think I'd be watching a two-dimensional cartoon...I used to think I'd rather die than do that whenever my sister asked me to, but fuck, I started yesterday. I started because of Alaina...because her friends said becoming a fan will make her talk to me with a damn smile. Doesn't mean that I still don't want to claw my fucking eyes out though.

Jason asked me to meet up with him to inform me about Lara McCain.

He told me that he found the number of that old lady who cried Theodore on her phone's call log—it appeared numerous times.

Apparently, after much...pressurizing, Lara opened up and told him that Leon always used her phone to make a call to that particular number. And anytime the number wanted to contact Leon, they always called her.

Leon didn't want to use his phone because he didn't want to be implicated, but why he didn't delete the number from her call log is still a mystery.

It could have been a mistake...or he didn't think Lara would ever be suspected by the police. Or...he wanted her to take the fall. I mean, he had to know Lara would never rat him out, even if she was held at gun-point.

Anyways, whatever his reason was, the old lady finally agreed to take Jason's call and speak to him after she was bribed with a lot of money. She admitted to knowing about the Taylor incident and said she'd tell me everything I need to know, in person, only if I'd come to California—where she lives—-and if I brought Alaina with me.

Didn't want to at first, because Alaina's honestly had enough of my bullshit family drama, but my blood ran hotter than magma at the thought of the both of us being alone in another country; a place where her Abuelo can't take her from me, a place where she can't leave me. Giddy happiness suddenly leaked from my skin pores, and I told Jason that I agree to the woman's terms.

I'll move my family to another of my properties which no one knows about, and he'll provide all-round security for them daily, while I leave the country to put an end to all this madness once and for all...and make Alaina forgive me. It'll be a fucking win-win.

Before I leave though, I need to do few things in preparation for The Golden State. Things like ensuring the good health of my company, bringing Jeremiah over to Markham, and also hiring a new housekeeper and chef for mama and Joan.