Demon Magic

Xander

It took way too much energy to keep Xerxes from taking over and tracking down the asshole that bruised our Jelly bean. Mostly because a part of me wanted him to. When I had finally calmed down I went back to bed. It was now 10am and I was staring at the note Ken had left confused.

'Went for brunch with Ryan. Planning on gathering more info about the club. It's just you, Carlton and Mel today. Alone. On your own. Don't get her pregnant. I left protection in your sock drawer.'

I was going to kill him. Simple as that. I took a quick shower and walked out of the room following the smell of Bacon and Mel. My stomach rumbled. I didn't know which of the two I wanted to devour more. I paused in the entryway and watched her at the stove. Her hair was in its usual curls all over the place.

Her Deadpool pajama pants clashing with the yellow of her shirt. Carlton popping up beside her and stealing a piece of bacon from her pile had all the happiness I was feeling immediately disappearing. For some strange reason, the two were starting to get closer during this trip. I knew my brother would never betray me. He was well aware that Mel was my mate. But a part of me was still scared something might happen.

Carlton was unfortunate in that he was born mateless. With the decrease in the number of wolves it was becoming a norm for some wolves to find themselves without a mate. Especially for betas and those lower. My father was the same. He wasn't born an alpha and wasn't given a mate. But he found my mother. And he ended up being made alpha of our pack. Sometimes I wondered. If my brother and I's roles were reversed, would I have still fallen in love with her?

Before I could go down the road of questioning whether what I felt for Mel was real or an obligation, I shook my head and stepped into the kitchen. She turned to put some more bacon on the already gathering pile and smiled at me.

"I was just about to come wake you up." She said. "Kenji's meeting with Ryan to gather info or so he claims."

"Who's Ryan?" I asked moving towards her.

"No idea. All I know is he probably works at the club or is a regular." She shrugged. I gently took her hand and ran my fingers gently over where there had been a bruise last night.

"I want to kill him for even touching you. Worse off leaving a bruise." I said not taking my eyes off it. The bracelet I had gotten her for her birthday sat just above it.

"This was you wasn't it?" She asked stepping away from me and shaking her wrist. I knew she was changing the subject. I let her. I wasn't supposed to be possessive and be in her space if I wasn't going to do anything. It wasn't fair for her.

"Tell her the truth." Xerxes said.

"Kenji won't let us. He'll kill us if we do."

"Then bend it. Omit what you have to but you need to tell her."

"Yeah it was. You like it?"

"I mean I have been wearing it every day since I got it." She shrugs. I smile at that.

"Could you quit it with the cheesiness? I'm trying to eat." My brother grumbles.

"Shouldn't you be on your way to the store. The sooner you're back, the sooner we can start." Mel tells him sitting down in the seat next to him by the breakfast bar.

"Start what." I ask curious and not at all jealous that the two have plans without me.

"Our dearest Melaine is going to attempt and probably succeed at giving me alcohol poisoning." He sighs.

"Don't be so dramatic sour wolf. Carlton told me he did a part time bartending gig when he was bored last year so he's going to teach me a few tricks. The fact that he can't get drunk makes it better coz he'll be judging." She explains.