CHAPTER FIVE

On Wednesday evening, I work a shift at Wilson's and nothing (not even the stroppy customer that has me remake her drink three times) can spoil my good mood.

For the next three days, Dylan is officially a free man.

I've not had the time to ask him how his Law exam went yet (it was last thing today at school and I had to get to the café straight after) but I'm one hundred percent sure that he's aced it. He always does. He's only got one exam left now, and I only have two, so we're going on a date tomorrow night to celebrate almost making it through our first year of A-levels.

"Somebody seems especially happy today," Ellie comments with a grin.

I cut off mid-hum whilst I wipe down the counter with a cloth and some D-10 spray.

"Do I?" I ask, trying to tone down my smile a few notches as I glance over at her.

She folds her arms and watches me.

"Uh-huh," she replies, her grin growing. "And not just an 'I-get-to-go-home-soon' happiness either. You've got your Dylan face on."

I roll my eyes. "I do not have a Dylan face."

"Oh, you so do," she laughs.

"Do not!"

"Dad, doesn't Jade have a Dylan face?" she calls through to the kitchen, her grin still firmly in place.

"Yeah," Paul calls back.

Traitor.

I shake my head as Ellie laughs again, but I can't hold back my smile.

"Whatever," I mumble.

"So... when's the date?" she asks knowingly.

"Tomorrow night," I reply.

"You guys are too cute," she sighs with a smile. "Where's he taking you?"

"We're going out to dinner and then heading back to his for a movie night."

"Will his parents be in?"

"No, his dad's got some work meal or something. They'll be out most of the night, I think," I reply.

"Ooh," she says suggestively, wiggling her eyebrows at me. "So you guys will be having some alone time then."

"Shut up!" I laugh and shove her arm lightly.

The remaining minutes of my shift tick by slowly, almost as if the clock knows I want time to hurry up so it's started counting in Mississippi's.

At ten to eight we're finally getting ready for the close, cleaning the coffee machine and making sure all the tables are wiped down and ready for tomorrow.

As I'm wiping down the final table, something – or more like someone – catches my attention through the front window.

Lucas Coleman stands across the road – alone, this time – dressed in dark jeans and his face-bashing boots, the hood of his jacket covering his head.

A chill surfs down my spine as I think back to Monday night.

'I know where you work,' he'd said. Is this him proving that?

Ignore him, he's just trying to freak you out... he doesn't need to know that it's working.

Forcing myself to focus back on the task at hand, I look down at the table and turn my back to the window. I purposefully don't look at him as I walk towards the counter, where Ellie stands obliviously collecting the money from the till. I don't look back until I reach her.