04. Bed Time

- Ellery Cohen - 

 - Ellery Cohen - 

I was so, so, so tired that I couldn't possibly stomach anymore of this food, even when Miles and Mark were both helping me from time to time. They were like Miss Sarah's dogs whenever they would eat the food I accidentally  dropped. 

I missed Miss Sarah. I miss her dogs walking either side of me throughout the house. I miss mommy most of all. 

But I had slept many, many times without mommy, but why was this time different? was it because she hadn't said goodbye to me like every other time? was it because we had driven for hours, past many different signs that said welcome and thankyou, that I felt like I was faraway from home? 

It was much colder here, so my little clothes that were torn, were not going to do much to stop the cold. But I missed when mommy would hug me tightly if she had hurt me. She kept the monsters away. 

"She doesn't know that her own mother was the monster in the closet" I exasperated to Mark. "She is too little to understand that what her mother did to her was wrong. It breaks my heart" 

I was too tired to keep my own head up, but I didn't want to go to sleep until I heard from mommy. Whenever I stayed at Miss Sarah's, mommy would call so that I could sleep. I had to know she was ok. 

"Daddy?" mommy had told me that I was going to meet my daddy very soon, and I had met Miles very soon, so was he my daddy? Miles looked shocked when I said it, but still said "yes, sweetheart?" 

The amount of times he had had to catch my head before it had fallen back onto the bench was crazy. He really didn't want me to hurt my forehead anymore. 

"I have to call mommy-y" I don't know why I was on the verge of tears. "Darling, it's late. How about you call her in the morning?" if I called in the morning, I could be too late. 

"N-no-o. I have to-o know she's-s ok-k" the hiccups had started. This was not going to be good. "I'll try and get a hold of her then" Miles was up in a flash, around the bench, as Mark pulled my head to rest on the side of his arm. 

I hadn't noticed that they had both just finished their dinners. "Sorry sweetheart, but it goes to voicemail. She must be asleep" mommy never slept before I went to bed. "b-but-" I went to say, but I was cutoff with "you need to go to bed as well" Miles then came back around, picking me up. 

"But I want mommy" now the tears had started to trail down my cheeks, as I leaned out of Miles's hold, trying to reach for his phone that was still on the bench, but he just continued to walk away with me. 

I knew I was being naughty, so Miles was probably going to hurt me, but I was sobbing so hard that I couldn't see that he was just laying me down. "Shhhh" he placed his hand ever so lightly on my chest, rubbing soothing circles. 

I tried so hard to just continue to sob, but Miles was making it harder and harder to stay awake. Teddy bear was put into my arms, as I snuggled closer to it, feeling content. All that was left was just some hiccups.