Chapter Twenty-Six

~ • ~

It's early morning, the sun only just peeking out from the edge of the trees. I've been awake for hours, continuing my way on. I left a northern pack days ago, one which I've been to before. I was more welcome this time around than I had been the first, pleasant in contrast to my first visit.

"Rogue conspirators are not welcome here," the Alpha spat at me out first meet. Not so trusting, for understanding reasons. Apparently the pack closed up since the previous Alpha died suddenly, and the current one has to abruptly takeover.

It satisfied me as he welcomed me back the second time. Gaining trust of an Alpha isn't an easy task, though I never planned to revisit.

Life has been simple since I found my own way. Life is enjoyable, I travel and I meet people, good and bad. I make memories with the good people and I handle the bad people.

I hear a movement in the distance, and I know it's what I'm looking for. I stand still, listening to the movements to catch it's exact position.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly where it is, movements cease and total stillness lands upon us.

I hence into making as much noise as I can, running shortly in the direction the original sound came from. I stopped still and listened, to which I heard the sound of success.

It's running heavily away, making noise and stamping everywhere. I takeoff in the same direction, listening and following. It doesn't matter if it sees me before I do, I'm faster.

I catch up and we're almost side by side, just running for awhile and waiting. I make the move and leap to my right, taking us both down and plunging into its neck. I'm successful, and although I'm not happy about it, I'm impressed.

It's been a few days, so I devulge as much as I can. Then I continue on my way.

After awhile, my body is weak and aching, my legs sore and my eyes wary. I push to continue, forcing my legs to keep sprinting. My feet are heavy as they pound sloppily against the ground. Everything around me is a full motion blur, the terrain mere lines in my peripheral vision. I can barely make anything out around me, only what is in focus straight forward.

My pace slows, unable to keep my body running full force for any longer. Everything is tired, even my eyes are drawling closed. Everything in me wants to stop and rest, take a small break at the very least. I will myself to keep going.

Ahead and all around me are tall, thin trees, the tallest I've ever seen. The terrain of the territory I am in currently is entirely different than that of my home pack, or even the Sanguine pack. The climate is colder and the area is rocky, with slight plateau's and increases in the ground. It is a mostly open area, though still dark. The sparse trees with little branches on the shaft, only at the top does it blanket across the sky in wide stretches of green.

I slow even more, almost accepting that my body is simply not cut for this type of activity. I can't run forever, despite how free I have been the last five months. I know it's coming soon, my mind originally wary, though I've come to accept that it has to. I've delayed the confrontation long enough. I don't want to keep running away, I want to simply do what I want, without anybody thinking about me. Especially not Alaric.

I know it has been months since I've been there, passing through countless territories, taking refuge in many packs. But I still have not had enough time to think over everything that has happened, what I've escaped and all I experiences. I pushed everything to the bottom of my mind, not wanting to relive any of it. I know I need to sooner or later.

When I stop moving is when I'll be faced with him, I know it. To be honest, I didn't even think he'd look for me at first. I'm surprised he has been, though admittedly not very hard. I can't be that good at covering my tracks, I know I'm not. Though Morrison did teach me everything helpful for living how he does.