Chapter Sixteen

Author's Note: this is the last chapter of Alaric's POV!!! I wasn't expecting to write over 4000 words in his pov, but I'm happy with the outcome anyway! What do you guys think about Alaric's take on the events?

~Alaric's POV~

       "Alright. What do you want?" I ask, knowing they know what I'm talking about. The look on Gen's face tells me she's aware too, yet nothing comes out.

I feel my face redden in anger, my family knowingly setting me off. This is an often occurance, and they know it. They need to be political every second of everyday is unnecessary, and now that they're retired pack leaders, they have nothing better to do.

"Tell me!" I yell, slamming the utensils back on the table with a clatter, the classes and plates shake for a just a second. I now have their attention, my mother speaking first.

"Well, Alaric, you've been alpha for years now." She beats around the point, my patience already thin. I know what this is about, I want it out already.

"We all agree that it's time you and Genevora mate. She should officially become Luna." They said what I was expecting them to say. I stay silent, knowing this would come sooner or later.

They're right, as much as I don't want to admit it; an Alpha needs a Luna. It creates security and promise, Luna's are the comfort and stability of the entire pack. They're a ground for the Alpha to fall on, to keep them a good leader and have strong pups to pass on the next generation of alphas.

Her typically reverberant voice becomes gentle, Gen's hand still on my knee. "please, Alec. You know it's time." She would have mated me long ago if she could. Even being an alphas daughter, she always wanted more. Her father is an ally to my pack, and even though our mating was never forced to unite, my parents expected it anyway. Gen's brother will become alpha soon, and she will become my Luna. Gen would be a perfect Luna, fulfill all of her duties and be a great leader, but I do not want her.

Looking at her, I see Monet sitting in the empty seat beside her. Monet is a bit taller, a lot paler, and thicker than her. She used to be very thin, but since being here she has gained weight, which makes me happy. I know she's not here, yet I still feel the affects of the mate bond. Everytime I try and get closer, the more I realize Gen sits between us.

"Alaric." My father asserts in a firm voice. This time it really sets me off, seeing Monet's face in front of me I stand, glaring at him. It takes my entire being to hold myself back from attacking him now. He would win if I did, though I don't care. I won't listen to him.

"As an alpha, I'm telling you that you must reign beside your Luna." His voice is low and daring, but so is mine. I hold my stance, still glaring at him. "you are not alpha anymore, father."

We stand, staring each other down. Gen, as expected, grabs my arm and whispers to me things that are meant to settle me. This only makes me angrier, and I pull myself away before I hurt her small frame. I show myself out, running out back further into the woods.

It's now pitch black outside, nothing visible except for the open spots of moonlight. I shift as I run, speeding further and deeper into the forest.

I run until I reach an open area, a small field in front of me. I reach the end of it, sitting myself down to feel the wind blow through my fur. I turn off all of my senses and allow the primal feelings of being a wolf take me over.

The feelings of everything that happened today reach their limit, and I'm left in a mess of emotions. I suppressed the fact that I almost killed my mate all day, but being alone in the forest with nothing but my thoughts is basically a death wish to myself.