Chapter 11

2016

Heading to Glasgow on impulse the way I had hadn't been the most practical of ideas for other reasons too. I hadn't even brought a toothbrush. Or contact lens cleaner. And I was meant to be working at ten am the next day. I really had not thought all of that through.

Luckily I'd only had two small wines at Marie's. My mum had a small collection of extra toiletries which meant I could acquire a toothbrush relatively easily. And thankfully I kept a spare pair of glasses in the glove compartment of my car, as I'd had no choice but to bin my lenses before going to bed.

As I left the house at 6am, I prayed Iona wouldn't already be up and about. It had been awkward enough last night after she'd unexpectedly agreed to take the job. She'd made her excuses and headed to bed pretty quickly after we'd made awkward eye contact for what felt like the seven hundredth time in twenty minutes.

I somehow made it back to the hotel for shortly before ten, just enough time to shower, change and insert a new pair of lenses before I started work. As I left the accommodation block, I realised that the only spare room in there was right next door to me, and I was tortured anew at the thought of having Iona on the other side of the wall from me.

Again, I cursed my stupidity. And hoped she would change her mind about taking the job.

No such luck. At around midday, my phone vibrated with a WhatsApp message. We'd exchanged phone numbers last night. I'd tried to ignore the tiny seed of delight inside, jumping for joy that I now had Iona Stewart's phone number. It was pretty bittersweet.

Hey. Spoke to my agency. The job I'm currently doing ends next Friday. Is it okay to start after that? Iona.

Well, I could hardly say no. Plus that meant Alice could train her for a week before she finished up, and I could avoid her as much as possible until after that.

Yes, that's fine. If you come up next Saturday, and start on the Monday that will give you a day or two to get acclimatised. Will you be driving or taking the train? Ryan.

I sounded ridiculously formal. It made me cringe.

Train. I gave up my car when I got made redundant.

But her messages were brief and to the point anyway. It's not like she was giving me anything to work with.

I told her to book a train ticket and we'd reimburse her for it, and we'd sort out a lift from the station nearer the time. If necessary, I'd book her a taxi. It would cost an arm and a leg but at least it would mean I wouldn't be trapped in a car with her.

"Who are you texting?" Alice asked me. She was insufferably nosy at times. Although she liked to say that was part of her charm.

"Just your replacement. Told you I'd find one," I replied lightly. I knew my voice sounded . . . Wrong. And the way Alice was looking at me confirmed it.

"That was fast." She raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, well." I scratched my chin awkwardly. "I ended up going back to Glasgow yesterday and ran into an . . . Old friend. Iona. She's very experienced and just happened to be available."

Alice's lips pinched together. "You've never mentioned this girl before," she observed. "What aren't you telling me?"

I shook my head. "Nothing. We just hadn't spoken in years. There was no reason to mention her before now."

"Hmmm. So will I like her?" she asked, choosing to leave the other point behind for now, and get straight onto the next one. "Since I'm assuming I'm going to have to train her?"