007.

T W O    D A Y S    L A T E R

T W O D A Y S L A T E R . . .

Zayley steadily tapped her thumbs against her steering wheel as her eyes were glued to the Golden State Warriors office. Otherwise known as the place where the team practiced.

Zayley never intended to come here; she had no reason to. But that choice had flown out the window when her sister called her at work. Since Zayley was nearing her lunch break, Kendra asked if she could pick up Kensley from school and drop her off at the facility.

A panicky feeling invaded her chest as Zayley thought of the odds of seeing her ex-boyfriend again. She wasn't aware of their practice schedule, so the possibility of having another exchange was up in the air.

She prayed that those chances were slim to none. She didn't want or need to see him.

"Auntie Z, are you okay?" Kensley said from the backseat. She was securely seated in her booster seat.

"Yeah, I'm okay Kens. Are you ready to see your mom?" Zayley asked, turning off the ignition and unbuckling her seatbelt.

"Yep. She always keeps candy in her office drawers for me whenever I visit. But that tall light skinned guy with the big ears on the team always tries to take it." She pouted as Zayley laughed.

"I'm sure he likes candy just as much as you do. You know it's good to share with others." She told her niece, helping her out of the car.

The pair walked hand in hand inside the facility, taking in the giant posters of current and former players. The organization's accolades stood tall and mighty, making the building look more prestigious than expected.

"Do you know where your mom's office is?" Zayley questioned the six-year-old. Kensley shook her head no in response.

Some help.

Zayley huffed as she pulled out her cell phone. "I should give your mom a call."

"Wait, I have an idea!" The child squealed as she grabbed her aunt's hand and dragged her in a different direction.

"Kensley, I hope you know where we're going. We can't wander off to random places," Zayley said, trying to keep up with her.

"Don't worry. I know someone who can help us." She replied as they stood outside a closed door, which Kensley repeatedly knocked on.

Zayley couldn't process what was happening until the door swung open, revealing a person she least expected.

"Hey Coach Steve!" Kensley smiled, waving at the taller man.

"Hey Kensley! Where's your mom?" He smiled down at her.

"I think she's in her office. I'm here with my aunt." Kensley spoke, turning around to grab Zayley's hand.