001.

P R E S E N T    D A Y

P R E S E N T    D A Y . . .

A sigh escaped from Zayley's lips as she closed the door to her apartment.

Tired was an understatement. Zayley was exhausted from a week's work at the hospital where she had just been hired. All she wanted to do was sleep her life away. To her luck, it was Friday, and she had the next three days off to do just that.

"Ugh, finally! I thought you would never show up," Natalia yelled from the living room.

Natalia was Zayley's best friend for four years. They met when Zayley transferred schools during her sophomore year of college. As soon as they were introduced as roommates, Natalia made it her mission to take Zayley under her wing; ever since then, they have been conjoined at the hip.

"Y'know, I'm starting to regret giving you a key. You're always popping up unannounced." Zayley joined her on the couch. "And I live here Nat. Why wouldn't I come home?"

"Girl, you and I know how you get when it comes to your job. It's like you're in this entirely different world."

Zayley could only chuckle at her words because it was true. Her job was very time-consuming, keeping Zayley on her toes 24/7. Nonetheless, she won't change a thing. She loved every single factor of it.

About three months ago, Zayley officially became a physician assistant. Growing up, she was always known as the kid who loved everything related to science. In particular, she was oddly fascinated with the human body and wanted to know every little detail about it.

She also loved helping people, so the medical field was a career path that allowed her to incorporate both of her passions. After high school, she briefly attended the University of Michigan before transferring to the University of Houston, where she majored in biology and minored in psychology.

She received her bachelor's degree and finished undergrad in only three years instead of the usual four. Not long after, she entered a physician assistant program for two years to receive her master's degree.

There was no doubt that Zayley was an intelligent young adult. Her parents instilled in her at a young age the value of education and did whatever it took to help their daughter succeed. For instance, when Zayley's elementary school principal informed her parents she was too academically developed to be in the first grade, they took the initiative to bump her two grades to challenge her.

Zayley wouldn't be where she is today without them. Though she may have worked long hours, they motivated her to do so.

"So, care to explain why you still have boxes in your bedroom?" Natalia asked, turning Zayley away from her thoughts.

"I wasn't done unpacking yet ... nosey ass." She side-eyed while stroking her pet cat named Milo.

"You mean to tell me you've been living in San Francisco for three months and haven't finished unpacking yet?"