-Chapter VII-

Evelyn kept her head down as her and the two boys walked through the Wicked halls. She regretted many things but at this moment she could only think of her mask that she so carelessly threw to the ground because with all these stares, she didn't exactly feel safe.

     She could sense the uneasiness from everyone they passed and not just because of the robotic voice of warning ringing throughout the building and frantic nurses running around but more so because she saw out of the corner of her eye, a guard bringing a walkie-talkie up to his mouth as he stared them down.

     Once they rounded a corner, Newt and Thomas watched her with surprise as she broke into a sprint the second she was out of sight from the guard.

     "Evelyn, what are you doing?" Thomas asked running after her and into a dark, unoccupied room, Newt a few feet behind.

     "Just trust me." She said glancing back and forth and pulled them deeper into the darkness of the room as three guards ran past them.

     "Good call." He replied looking both ways as more and more soldiers passed them.

     Newt let out another cough that sounded as if he had a knife caught in his throat or something bizarre like that, his brows furrowing from the pain.

     "Just hang in there, bud." Evelyn rubbed his back a couple times and he closed his eyes to shake the small amount of dizziness that just rushed over him out of nowhere.

     "I think we're clear." Thomas stated, creeping slowly out of the room.

     This time as they walked, they stayed more cautious and alert having to hide every few minutes with a guard passing by. Evelyns stomach was a complete mess, the girl getting more and more worried about Newt with every cough leaving his lips and every off step he made that showed his dizziness. And on top of that, she was so close to getting her best friend back and to that, she was over the moon excited.

     She had kept her eyes forward, not noticing that Thomas had stopped once catching sight of Ava Paige down a corridor. Newt got Evelyns attention and they watched closely as he held the gun up at her but no shot sounded.

     "Thomas!" Newt yelled at the boy, a gunshot being heard from across the room causing them all to duck as Newt pulled Thomas back and started running down the hallways again, Janson now on the other end having just shot at them.

     The three raised their guns once turning a corner, all the nurses in sight ducking away and running into a room as they searched the area for Minho.

     "Minho!"

     A guard walked out in front of them and on instinct, Evelyn shot the guy in the stomach with one of the electric bullets before running past him as she called for the boy. "Minho!"

     "Shit." Thomas let out as they ran down another set of hallways, four guards on their tail and two coming from another opening.

Thomas threw his stun gun to the ground being out of ammo and pulled the handgun out as the guards behind them approached, both him and Evelyn firing at them as Newt took care of the two to their left.

"Get down." Thomas instructed ushering both Newt and Evelyn behind a wall as they sat down, Evelyn letting out a curse as she found no more electrical bullets. "Shit. I'm almost out."

She threw her gun against to the ground before cocking her pistol and standing above Thomas sending shots the guards way, the boy backing up once out of ammunition.

"Guys, I got a few left." Evelyn muttered, a few more bullets leaving the head of the gun.

"Get back!" Newt shouted and pulled Evelyn behind him before he threw a grenade of sorts towards the remaining guards.