-Chapter X-

"No. Shit, no, no, no." He muttered as she stumbled forward, wrapping his arms around her waist to keep her upright, a pained whimper leaving her lips as she squinted her eyes tight.

"You should...you should go." She muttered lifting her eyes to meet his as she breathed heavily. "You need to get out of here."

Thomas shook his head and searched the surrounding area for any sort of cloth or anything really that could stop the bleeding, or at least prevent it from spilling out of her like it was.

"Thomas. Get out of here." She breathed out resting her head against the wall Thomas had sat her at.

"No." He muttered finding a small towel before running back over to her and dropping to his knees where he pushed the towel against her abdomen.

     "I can't lose another person to a goddamn gun." His jaw was clenched and he couldn't stop his hands from shaking the slightest bit out of pure fear. He couldn't even stand the thought of losing her and that reality seemed to be falling into place unless his vision was just playing tricks on him.

She felt terrible for him. After seeing what happened to him when they lost Chuck or how he was affected by Newt, she couldn't die. She couldn't leave him like that.

"Can you stand?" He asked and she nodded her head with pursed lips and eyes still shut as if it would distract her from the pain but her efforts were proven useless. Everything was starting to hurt, even the breathes that left her lungs caused her pain.

The fire from the buildings surrounding the two made the task of getting away that much harder. Thomas had Evelyn in his arms, the girl letting out groans and whimpers of pain with every off movement. He was already a wreck from the earlier events, but seeing her fighting to stay alive was making him all the more broken.

     "Thomas—stop." Evelyn breathed out as she kept her hand clasped to her stomach, the boy opening a door to the stairs that led to the roof. He ignored her as he adjusted his grip on her waist and started up the stairs causing another pained cry to leave her lips. "Stop, please."

     "Hey, no. We're getting out of here." He assured as he climbed a few more stairs, the pain in her abdomen worsening.

     "Just leave me." She panted to which Thomas shook his head and continued up the flight of steps as the fire spread swiftly. She couldn't take the pounding in her head and the agonizing pain that was below her fingertips having her shaky hand grasped to the spot that wouldn't stop spilling blood. Her entire hand and some of her wrist covered in the crimson liquid that soaked the towel staining it and giving the illusion it was always that bright red. A flash of nausea struck causing her to fall from Thomas's arms and onto the metal stairs but it didn't hurt. Not compared to her stomach.

"I got you." He said quickly reaching for her waist again but she pushed his hand away multiple times as she tried to catch her breath that slowly kept leaving her lungs but didn't seem to want to come back.

"I'm not gonna...make it. J-just go." She said almost inaudible because of her staggered breaths. "Thomas, please go."

Thomas looked at her as though she was crazy with a drastic shake of his head as he set his hand on her waist only for the girl to again push him away. "I can't leave you here."