2.04 | center of the universe

[ ngl, the next few chapters are kinda anti-addison. so, sorry to my addy stans but she's like my lead favorite. i understand the appeal tho ]

☽︎

YOU DIDN'T EVEN WANT TO BE CHEER CAPTAIN UNTIL I SAID I WANTED IT.

Carson shut her locker softly, which revealed one of Zed's new campaign posters

Carson shut her locker softly, which revealed one of Zed's new campaign posters. She narrowed her eyes, taking in how he now had a slight tan and hair that was more black than green. He looked human, and Carson hated it, knowing he wasn't going about this election the right way. Perhaps she could speak with him about it after the day's cheer practice, which Carson had to go change for.

But as she went down the hall, she spotted a particular alpha without any of her pack mates near, which was odd. Carson approached Willa, figuring now was as good a time as ever to discuss the moonstone with her.

"Hey, Willa," she greeted. "Can we talk for a minute?"

"I can't imagine what I'd ever need to discuss with you," she said stiffly. Willa wished she had her fellow wolves with her to make her more comfortable, but she'd already ordered them to spy on Addison at cheer practice.

Carson sighed, knowing she'd never make progress with Wyatt's sister. "Look, it's about the moonstone," she said.

Willa perked right up at her words. "You've found it?" she asked desperately. "Where?"

"I've not found it," she said quickly. "But I have found a spell. I'll have to wait and perform it at night, but I think it'll at least narrow its location down to a few miles. It'll give your pack a place to start looking."

"Oh," Willa said, both disappointed they didn't have to stone but also surprised Carson was being helpful. "Well, thank you. I'm tired of waiting for the Great Alpha to show up — we can find it ourselves with you."

Carson tilted her head, alarm bells sounding in her head. "Great Alpha?" she questioned. She'd heard the term before but hardly remembered the final details in her father's bedtime story. "Aren't you the alpha?"

Willa stiffened, not particularly wanting to share with Carson. But she also knew if Carson went to Wyatt, her mate, for answers, she'd get them anyway. "There's a prophecy. Our pack has been waiting since I was born for some Great Alpha to appear and lead us to safety and unity. And she's supposed to lead us to the moonstone."

"But where does that leave you?" she couldn't help but ask, concerned about Willa's position. "I mean, you're the alpha."

"For now," she replied. "And if the Great Alpha comes, I will gladly hand my status over."

It felt like a lie, and they both knew it. "Well, Great Alpha or not," Carson said, "you're the one saving your pack. You've led them and kept them alive. You brought them to Seabrook to get the moonstone. Even if she does show up, don't let her ignore all the work you've done or take credit. It's your pack, Willa, and always will be."