Chapter Fifteen

Rúben

"She is even prettier in person", I hear John say while we make our way to the dressing room.

"I know", I say, smiling as I do every time I think about Christina.

"But she looked a bit sad. Everything ok?"

"No. I don't know the details but her friend called her and...well, it doesn't seem like he told her how much he loves her, you know?"

"Fucking guy", says John, rolling his eyes. "He just won't stop punishing her for not liking him back, huh?"

"Yeah", I sigh. "The moment he found out she was here with me, he attacked her again".

"Well, let's put on a good show at training for her".

I laugh at that. I now have to impress the coach and Christina.

When we get out to start training, I notice I can't see Christina anywhere. Was she kicked out or something?

"She's over there", John tells me when he sees me looking for her.

"Where?"

"That office there? Where they have some of the cameras to film our training", he says, pointing at the place he talks about.

I can now see her, speaking with Tom.

I try to get her out of my head to concentrate on my job. At least she's here and I know she's ok. If I had left her home, I'd been worried about her not leaving the place at all and just crying all day.

If I ever see this Matty, I'll...

Christina

"So, how have you been?", asks Tom when the boys are gone.

"You know, a bit of this, a bit of that. What about you?"

"Can't complain", he tells me and I smile at that. He is one of the nicest people I've met doing my job.

"Not trying to stick my nose where I shouldn't but it seemed like you drove here with Rúben, right?", he says, trying to make it sound like an innocent question.

I laugh. "Yeah, he invited me to go to his match tomorrow. But it's not what you think it is".

"Oh. No, I wasn't trying to insinuate anything".

"You were", I laugh. "And I get it but it's not that. We have been talking after doing the interview. He found out I was having a hard time and invited me to spend a couple of days here. Just that".

"That's nice of him", says Tom. "He's a good guy".

I nod.

He is. He really is. It's such a contrast between him and the Matty from the last couple of days. When Rúben told me that he had no expectations for this visit and he didn't expect me to entertain him I...I almost kissed him. But I was feeling very raw and sensitive from my conversation with Matty. It wouldn't have been a good idea. Being impulsive has never gotten me any good things.

The rest of the time we just do some small talk, mainly about work.

"You know, if London becomes too much for whatever reason and you want to spend more time here, for Rúben or for no reason at all, we would be happy to have you working for the team".

"What?", I say, shocked by his words.

"I mean it. We are building a team with young and hard-working people that bring fresh ideas to the table. You'd fit right in", he says. "Just letting you know that's an option. And that I would really like it if you said yes to the offer".

"Thank you".

Could I leave my job in London and move to Manchester?

When the training is over, I tell Tom I'm getting a taxi to go to the city centre to spend the afternoon there.

"Do you want to say goodbye to Rúben?", he asks me, with a small smirk.

"Um...sure!"

"Come with me, then".

"Dias!", I hear him say. "Come here a sec".

A couple of seconds later I can see Rúben walking towards him, but then he sees me and seems to not know where to go.

"She wanted to say goodbye. I'll leave you to it", and then he turns to me to add that I should go to his office to let him know I'm leaving.

"Hey!", I say, trying to concentrate on Rúben's face and not the way the clothes stick to his sweaty body.

"Hey. You had a good time?"

"I did. It was super interesting to be able to see a whole training session".

"Are you feeling better then?", he asks, trying to find the answers in my eyes before I get to speak.

"I definitely am. I'll just go out now and try to enjoy the day without thinking about anything negative", I laugh.

"That's good", he says, getting closer to me. "I'll be at the hotel but I have my phone with me if you need anything, ok?"

I nod.

"Well, have fun. You deserve it", he says, looking like he's going to turn and leave.

"Rúben!"

"Yes?"

I don't say anything. I just hug him.