[54] Critical condition

"it's hard to wake up from a nightmare when you aren't even asleep"

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

"Your feet are freezing, babe. Jesus," Chase complains when I wedge my feet under his legs.

"And you're my boyfriend, it's legally your job to take care of that," I inform him.

"Is that right?" He flashes me his usual smirk and I melt a little.

I've known him my entire life and yet I'm still not used to it.

Despite the fact that my feet are literal ice blocks, he braves the cold, wrapping his hands around them and warming me up instantly.

Perks of a boyfriend.

My phone rings, interrupting the movie we're watching and I groan.

I'm so comfortable right now. Snuggled with Chase, under a warm blanket. But, I force myself to stand up and walk across the room to answer the call.

Aspen is on a date tonight and I told her she could call me if she needed someone to save her.

I flip my phone around and unplug it from the charger, but the number isn't anyone I recognize.

Still, I decide to answer it because I don't want to have gotten up for no reason.

I press accept and talk into the speaker. "Hello?"

"Is this Jemma Campbell?" An unfamiliar voice greets my ear. If I had to guess I'd say they're a middle-aged woman.

"Yes, this is she," I reply, confused as to who's calling me and why they know my name.

I swear if this is a hacker from when Luke downloaded a video game on my phone when he was bored, I'm going to kill him.

"I'm calling on behalf of Delaney Lawrence. It says here you're her emergency contact."

My heart sinks.

"Yes, I am."

It was between me and Chase to be her emergency contact when we moved out to university. We settled on me because I was her roommate and Chase travels a lot for football. I never imagined they'd actually have to use it though.

"Ms. Lawrence was involved in a severe car crash earlier this evening." The lady continues speaking, adding on details, but I barely pay attention.

"Oh my god," I mutter as I hold onto the table in front of me for support.

"What?" Chase calls out but I don't answer him. I can't speak.

"Babe? What is it?" He's beside me now. Rubbing reassuring strokes across my back. "Jemma, talk to me. What's wrong?"

I tune Chase out for a second, just to focus back on the nurse in my ear and gather the main bits of information.

Drunk driver.