30. THE END OF ALL THINGS

Rowan lowered his hands, so trapped in his emotions. He wasn't fighting the enemy, he was fighting his own people. His own king.

He let his head hang, being internally torn apart. Two knights forced him to his knees holding their swords to his throat.

His world had turned upside down as he watched the man that had given him everything and treated him with kindness and respect since the day they'd met, walk towards him. He couldn't tell right from wrong any longer. He couldn't think or feel.

Meanwhile, Mariann was dragged towards the king as well, with a blade to her neck. She couldn't move.

Silent tears streamed down Rowan's face, as the king stopped before him. "Have you lost your faith in me as you, King?" Ameer glared down at Rowan.

"No," Rowan whispered under his breath.

"Then why betray me?"

Rowan grit his teeth, "She, is no harm to you, I swear it."

"You have both proven the opposite. But you are valuable to me Rowan."

King Ameer let a knight hand him a sword, as he spoke, "I know that love is blinding, and that her intentions were not to take my life, but she is a danger and an enemy."

King Ameer let the sword fall to Rowan's knees, making it clink as it hit the ground. "So use this chance to prove your loyalty to me."

Rowan's eyes widened. And the knights let go of him. He reached out and grabbed the cold hilt of the sword without thinking.

Had love truly blinded him to the point of betrayal? Had he lost sight of everything that was important to him?

He got up with the blade at hand and turned to Mariann who was still being held by two soldiers.

With the taste of blood in her mouth Marianns lips quivered, but she had to be strong. She looked up at him, "Do it, Rowan." She tried her best to give him a reassuring smile. He'd given up to much for her, and this was the only way out for him.
He'd given her everything, including happiness. If dying meant that he could live on and find the same happiness he'd given her someday it was worth it to her.

Her voice made him look into her eyes. More tears fell down his face as he saw her smile. He hadn't lost sight of the things that were important to him, he'd simply arranged them new.

He let the sword drop to the ground as it made the only sound in the entire hall. Grabbing his face, he knelt on the ground. "I cannot do it, your highness," he sobbed.

Trembling all over he choked on his words, "I do not care what happens to me, but I beg of you spare her!"

The feeling of betrayal engulfed the king as he swung his hand in a downward signal, making a knight reach out to Mariann, pulling her up by her hair and cutting her throat open in a single motion, and letting her body drop to the ground. She had immediately been engulfed in the cold embrace of death.

A sharp stinging pain erupted in Rowan's chest and the only thing that could be heard what his scream as he comprehended her death. "NOOO, NOO, PLEASE NOO!"

She'd smiled at him just a moment ago. He heard her voice speak to him just a moment before.

He leaned forward with a shaky hand to touch her hair, as a pool of blood started forming around her head.
"MARIANN!"

He couldn't even hear his own screams. He wanted to continue dancing with her. He wanted to ride out with her again.

Wake up he thought. Please wake up Mariann. "MOVE!" He begged, as two knights grabbed him by the arms. "DO SOMETHING! PLEASE. GIVE ME A SIGN THAT YOU ARE ALIVE!"

He wanted to sit with her at the lake one more time. To feel her touch and to wake up with her again. He hadn't gotten to ask her for her hand in marriage yet. He had so many things he wanted to give her, so many things he wanted to show her.

He tried getting out of their grip. "NOO!" He screamed out as more of them began holding him in place to bring him into the dungeons.

Spitting and turning and heaving he tried to get loose, as his screaming died down into sobs. "Please...please...no," he cried out as he lost sight of her body.

For the next 40 days, Rowan awaited his hanging in the dungeons of the castle.

When the doors to his cell finally opened, he looked his own death into the eye, he was only a shell of the man he once was.

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨

Thank you for reading!
I appreciate the support a lot. This is how I envisioned the ending but I understand if it's not the outcome you expected.

And for those of you who might not like this ending I wanted to announce that I will be writing an alternative ending for those of you who are unhappy. I'll be posting it next week.

Have a lovely day ❤️

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨