12. TAKING HER

"King Ameer has been poisoned," Dagaric said in a serious tone.

"What! When?!" Rowan said standing up from his chair, hitting his hands on the table making a loud noise.

"We've received word from him about 5 nights ago."

Clenching his hands to fists his heartbeat fastened in anger. This meant that Lord Girard had definitely known about it when he stayed at his manor. He had deliberately not told him.

"Is he alright?!" Rowan panicked.

"Yes, yes he is getting better every day, but," Dagaric hesitated.

"But what?! Tell me!"

"He has ordered you to come to his castle to figure out who was working to kill him."

"When did he order this?" Rowan stressed combing through his hair with his fingers.

"In his first letter."

Bringing down his fist on the table with another loud thud he clenched his jaw. Lord Girard had probably also known this, but now his King might think of Rowan that he is defying his orders, or at least not following them.

"I must leave immediately." He said rage flowing through his veins like lava.

"It will be dark soon, it is not smart to leave now, but if you leave tomorrow at dawn you will be at his castle by dusk with a steed."

Although every cell in his body wanted to leave right now, the young Lord knew that Dagaric was right.

"So be it then."

———————————————
Mariann felt like she'd frozen over. Even her cloak and new clothes were not enough to keep her warm behind these stone walls under the ground.

Her stomach growled painfully and her throat ached for anything remotely liquid.

Not a second had she been able to rest when she began hearing steps after what must have been many hours.

Uneven steps, probably two people, as they turned louder coming her way.

Orange light shone through the gap at the bottom of the dungeon's door, being the first and only thing she'd seen since being thrown in here.

The sound of keys in the lock made her uneasy. The door opened and the light of a small lantern blinded Mariann. She raised her hand to shield her eyes and could only make out four sets of boots.

"Leave us," the Lord ordered the guard that had opened him the dungeon.

Mariann immediately recognized her master's voice.

She did not get up from her position as she still felt frozen in place not knowing what he wanted.

Looking down on the small figure he watched her every move to make sure she didn't use her powers. Although she shouldn't have any knowledge on how to fight with them as a slave, he was cautious since having seen her use them to such an extent.

"Come," his voice seemed husky and rough.

Her eyes finally adapted to the light a little as she finally looked up at the Lord. His eyes seemed distant although looking right at her.