TGP Chapter 31.2: The Curtain Falls

“Why is it so difficult to marry a wife?”
____

Li Rong came up behind Pei Wenxuan and quietly asked, “What’s the point in asking a dying person this?”

“A dying person,” Pei Wenxuan said in a mild tone, “Can tell you why he is going to die. Then, you will know how to avoid dying because of that and not let others end up dying that way.”

“Did you not understand what he said just now?” Li Rong softly chuckled, “You’ve lived for fifty years, did you live those years in vain?”

Hearing this, Pei Wenxuan also laughed: “To be honest with Your Highness the Princess, while I have lived for fifty years, I still don’t fully understand his words.”

“Lies.” Li Rong immediately retorted, “If you had failed to understand this, then why did you fight with me over the successor to the throne? When you were young, you also said that you wanted the common people to live a little better, but didn’t you ultimately end up competing with me to protect your own interests?”

Pei Wenxuan fell silent when he heard this and said nothing. He wanted to give a bit of an explanation, but he knew that his explanation was unsuitable for Li Rong to hear.

Li Rong could never understand his ambitions, aspirations and almost naive ways of thinking.

That was because Li Rong was born in a high place. She had never experienced the same things he did—never walked through the open fields, looked out at the mountains and rivers, made friends from all walks of life, and seen the hardships of the common people like him.

Maintaining orthodoxy and stability was what Li Rong believed in, but he knew very well that if such beliefs persisted, then the end of Great Xia would not be too far away.

But these words—he could not say them, and Li Rong could not understand them either.

Li Rong saw that he was not saying anything and thought that she had just poked at his weak spot. She felt that these words were too heavy. As she walked with him, she tapped the fan against the palm of her and deftly changed the subject, “But isn’t everyone like this? Didn’t we have these thoughts too when we were young? You were even afraid I would see blood today, but I have seen many…”

“Li Rong,” Pei Wenxuan suddenly interrupted her. There was no joy or anger in his expression. Li Rong turned to look at him as he said, “Every time you see blood, your left hand will slightly shake.”

Li Rong’s expressions slowly faded, and Pei Wenxuan continued to say, “You always tell me that people like you and Su Rongqing have no sincerity, and you also say that everything you do, you do for yourself and your own interests, but not everyone is willing to take the risk to put a piece of clothing over a dead person in the imperial court, simply because they could not bear it in their heart.”

“Not everything that is said and done, is necessarily the truth,” The two of them had arrived at the palace gates. Pei Wenxuan came to a stop and turned to look at her, “And though some words are spoken in jest, it doesn’t mean that they are necessarily false.”

“Such as?”

Li Rong asked directly. Pei Wenxuan only looked at her. After a while, he unexpectedly said, “After leaving the palace this time, I’m afraid it will be difficult to see each other again before we get married. In this brief period of time, I plan to rebuild the secret intelligence network like before, and I need some money.”

Li Rong: “……”

“I really want to know,” Li Rong looked at Pei Wenxuan with a face full of admiration, “How can you ask a woman for money just like that?”