TGP Chapter 27.1: Peony

“Only the peony is the true beauty of the nation, and Li Rong is the only peony in his heart.”
____

“Long time no see.”

Pei Wenxuan had prepared himself beforehand from the moment she came in. There was not the slightest surprise after he had confirmed who that person was. He laughed and said: “Come to think of it, it has almost been four years, hasn’t it?”

As the two of them talked, Li Rong gave Li Chuan a meaningful glance and led Li Chuan to the other side of the cell, maximizing their distance away from Pei Wenxuan and whispered: “Why is she here?”

“Jie, do you know her?”

Li Chuan glanced at the two talking amongst themselves and whispered to Li Rong: “I met her at the gates of Qin Lin’s residence on Jiulu Mountain. I was waiting there and didn’t know what she was up to either. I saw that she was about to fall and quickly rescued her. In the end, this woman did not turn out to be very knowledgeable about good, well-intentioned people. With the strength to kill, she turned around, gave me a palm strike and put me flat on the ground.”

Li Chuan spoke as if trembling with lingering fears after the traumatic encounter and put a hand on his chest: “Fortunately, I’m still destined for greater things and survived.”

Li Rong: “…”

“And then…?”

Li Rong didn’t want to hear about how Li Chuan was beaten up and jumped straight to the point. She was able to easily get Li Chuan’s attention. He turned around with an “oh,” but then he carried on and said: “I told her I was the Crown Prince, and I was looking for Qin Lin. The moment she heard who I was, she was immediately horrified, kneeling and apologizing. In the end, she said she would help me recruit Qin Lin, but the condition was,” Li Chuan lifted his chin, “To let her come and see Pei Wenxuan.”

As he said that, Li Chuan frowned and eyed the two people who were reminiscing the past: “Jie, is there something going on between them?”

Li Rong: “…”

It was rare to see Li Chuan so smart for once.

Li Chuan was reasonably stable when it came to government affairs, but when it came to emotions, Li Rong felt that he was no different from a six year old.

As Qin Zhenzhen was talking to Pei Wenxuan, she mostly asked about Pei Wenxuan’s situation, and Pei Wenxuan answered them one by one. Once Qin Zhenzhen confirmed that Pei Wenxuan had nothing to worry about, she let out a sigh of relief and said: “I heard that Elder Brother was sent to prison, and my heart was uneasy. Elder Brother asked for my help, but I received no response afterwards, so I took the liberty to come here. I can be at ease now that I know that Elder Brother is unharmed. If Elder Brother needs assistance with other things, there is no need to refrain against taboos. Although Zhenzhen is a simple woman, I also wish to make a humble effort.”

Pei Wenxuan nodded after hearing Qin Zhenzhen’s words and only said: “You can rest assured. I will handle it on this end.”

Qin Zhenzhen responded with a hum of acknowledgment and did not say anything else. Some time passed, she hesitated for a while before she said: “There is also…the matter of breaking off the engagement.” She seemed to be at a loss for what to say. There was a long period of hesitation as she seemed to be considering how to word it, then she said, “I hope Elder Brother will forgive me for not coming to the residence to explain in person.”

“It’s nothing.” Pei Wenxuan waved his hand, “I know that it wasn’t originally your intention, and I don’t blame you. You don’t have to worry about it.”