CHAP. 7

Footsteps clatter as Mr. Nolan, all the teachers and (Y/n) enter the assembly hall. The boys stand. The teachers make their way to the front, and (Y/n) to the side by the wall. "Sit." The students take their seats.

   Nolan removes his glasses and looks out at the boys. "In this week's issue of Welton Honor, there appeared a profane and unauthorized article. Rather than spend my valuable time ferreting out the guilty persons... and let me assure you, I will find them."

   (Y/n) shifts her weight uncomfortably. "I'm asking any and all students who know anything about this article to make themselves known here and now." The boys glance at each other, not saying a word. "...Whoever the guilty persons are, this is your only chance to avoid expulsion from this school." The sound of a phone ringing echoes through the room.

   Mr. Nolan looks around for the source. The ringing stops. "Welton Academy. Hello? Yes, he is. Just a moment." Charlie stands, phone in hand. "Mr. Nolan, it's for you. It's God. He says we should have girls at Welton." All of the students laugh except for seven boys and a girl.

-

   The boys managed to sneak (Y/n) into Todd and Neil's room. She waited in the doorway while everyone else waited outside. Charlie walked stiffly down the hall, blinking back tears. Everyone moved aside. "You kicked out?" Neil asks as Charlie enters his room. His voice strained, he answers. "No."

   "So what happened?" Charlie stops walking and sighs sharply. "I'm to turn everybody in, apologize to the school, and all will be forgiven." He treads further into the room, taking hold of the door.

"So what are you gonna do? Charlie." He turns around to face Neil. "Damn it, Neil. The name is Nuwanda." He gives his friend a flat-lined smile before closing the door.

   Everyone heads to their rooms, Cameron going to Meeks's. (Y/n) looks at Neil and Todd. "I'm gonna go talk to him." She starts to walk across the hall. "You sure?" She looks back to see Neil standing in the doorway. She nods. He nods back and closes the door behind him.

   (Y/n) knocks softly on Charlie's door. "Charlie, it's (Y/n). Can I come in?" He doesn't respond. She waits a moment before opening the door to see Charlie lighting a cigarette. She closes the door behind her and presses her back against it. "You okay?" He doesn't answer right away. Sitting on his bed, wincing before slowly laying down. "Yup...never been better." He shakily brings the cigarette to his lips and takes a drag.

   She slowly walks over, taking a seat on the edge of the bed. "... What was that, Dalton?" He scoffs. "What do you mean, the call? Just a little prank to get a point across." He laughs but stops when he sees that (Y/n) doesn't share the same amusement. "Oh, come on. It was funny."

   "It got you in trouble. What if you got kicked out?" "I didn't." "But what if you did?" He sits up, looking her in the eyes. "I didn't…" She looks at him a moment before shaking her head.

   "Scoot over." Charlie moves closer to the wall, propping his back up against his pillow. She sits next to him. "You are absolutely incorrigible." Charlie laughs. "I'm not sure what that means, but thank you." She rolls her eyes. "It's not a compliment. You're driving me crazy with all this shit you've been pulling." Charlie grins. "Driving you crazy? I like the sound of that." (Y/n) groans. "-No. I'm being serious. I don't know what I'd do if Nolan had you pack your bags."

   He shrugs. "Well, then it would be your responsibility to put up with Cameron." "-Oh, then you really can't leave." They both laugh. (Y/n) shakes her head before looking at the boy. "Just promise me that you'll be careful, okay?" Charlie nods hesitantly. "No, use your words." He sighs. "Fine. I promise." He sticks his pinky up and (Y/n) connects it with her own.