Voice In Chaos - 1

After a long moment, he looked at the air in front of him and his brow unfurled.

But not because he had an answer, but because of the speculation within him that gave him no small shock.

"People are feeling lucky..." he whispered, "but luck is no coincidence."

Where are you?

...

Although Jessica sensed that the body was light in weight and not very tall, the footsteps landed on the ground with a crisp click-click-click sound, running hastily like a small animal that kept exposing itself.

Like a nail gun fired from a distance, the rattle had become slight with the wind coming through.

Boom!

The bark of a tree just a metre away burst open, splinters splashing violently into her face.

A short scream came out of her mouth, and Krill felt a great fear rise up inside the subject of his mission, and more so because she had screamed out and covered her mouth with a shudder.

A silencer?

Most people in fear have no sense, not even much of a mental voice, just the messy words "I can't get away, they're coming after me" repeated over and over. 

With another small scream, Krill felt her whole body fall forward, tripping over a root protruding from the ground beneath her feet and landing hard on the ground. Long hair that hadn't been tidied for who knows how long almost obscured her vision, and the frosty, damp soil sent more cold through the thin material of her coat. 

"No!" 

The subject of the mission finally lost control and opened her mouth in a silent cry, thinking: mum and dad think I'm dead, no one will know, no one will come to save me.

"Don't think like that." A calm, gentle voice suddenly sounded in her head, sounding like it was coming from a box with a bit of a hollow echo. 

Jessica White was just an ordinary fourteen-year-old girl who had woken up in a strange place last month - or had been last month some time ago - after being dragged into an SUV on her way home from school. 

At first, she thought she had been kidnapped, and soon she guessed she might have been trafficked, but for many days she was simply kept in an abandoned stable every day, with three meals a day and no less. 

Finally, one day after another adult woman had been locked up with her, the man delivering the food stopped outside the stable. A phone call from that man led the adult woman to guess that they had been forced to participate in a terrible game. Only the women had been taken out the night before and never returned. 

From the face of the man watching over her, Jessica realised that the other woman must have met a fate she dared not imagine. 

Today it was her turn. 

"I'm here to help you." The voice said again. 

Outside time suddenly became very, very slow, and Jessica remained on her back, the panic in her features not fading, a tear hanging in the corner of her eye as gravity was slowly exerting its influence on it. 

In the space of consciousness, the two began to communicate, Krill said, "What's your name?" It was a rare situation for him too, he basically didn't need to communicate with the subject of his mission during his daily missions, but this was clearly a special case. 

The girl's strength was already overwhelmed; she would probably not have the strength to get up again if she fell once more, and Krill could not wait until she passed out. Now the only way the two could resolve the problem at hand was to coordinate.