6

HAROLD PRESSED his palm against Miss Applegate's upper stomach in search of tenderness. He'd found satisfaction in having Jessie follow him around like a lost puppy. Though she was just doing her job, it did boost his ego. She sat in a corner of the room overlooking the two, and was even jotting down notes.

"How about here?" He gently applied pressure to her upper torso, and she flinched.

"Right there. That hurts like a knife to the knee cap," Miss Applegate looked over at Jessie, and offered an exaggerated smile. She'd been enjoying having someone watch her every move and articulations. Miss Applegate was fond of the spotlight, even if it was just being a muse to a girl named Jessie.

"How long have you felt this tenderness?" Harold fixed his glasses onto the bridge of his nose, and cleared his throat. Miss Applegate was a regular patient at the practice. And for every ache that she had, she'd rush over.

"I don't know. It comes and goes. Remember when my right waist was tender? I think the pain is spreading. What's your diagnosis, Doc?"

Harold scratched his jaw, and took a glance at Miss Applegate's chart, "from what I can tell, you're probably just experiencing a pulled muscle. I'll give you something to ease the pain. But if you want, we'll run some tests."

"Yes. Yes. I don't want it to be something bad. And what if we ignore it now, and it becomes fatal in the long run. Doc, I need to make sure I live to see my great grandchildren."

Harold nodded and heard the clicking of heels heading towards the door. He turned his eyes in the direction to see Jessie leaving the room. Twitching his jaw, he gave Miss Applegate the brightest smile that he could muster up.

JESSIE EXHALED an exhausted breath, and plopped down at her desk. Marilyn had hired a new assistant, which meant that Jessie had to relocate elsewhere. The small, clustered room, with boxes and boxes of backup paperwork, managed to make Jessie regret her new position at the practice. She'd gotten a few ideas for her book, while studying Harold, and probably had enough to go on pertaining to that subject.

"Jessie," she heard Brenda call, "Doctor Isles wants to see you in her office."

Jessie had grown fond of Brenda. Her sweet personality, and southern accent gave a good vibe in the practice, "tell her I'll be there in a sec."

Brenda nodded and rushed off. Jessie stretched her arms and yawned. Rubbing her eyes, she stretched her jaw, and inhaled a few deep breaths to get her blood rushing. As she walked over to Marilyn's office, she reminded herself to keep it professional. There was no reason to get too friendly with Marilyn, especially since she didn't want to cross any lines.

"You beckoned for me?" Jessie popped her head through the crack of the door, and managed to bring a smile onto Marilyn's lips.

"Hardly. But come in," Marilyn clasped her hands, and waited for Jessie to sit down.

"So—"

"How's being around Harold been?" Marilyn asked.

Jessie shrugged. He didn't say much to her, and she didn't say much to him, "fine, but I think it's really time that I go. He's been great, but he's boring."

Marilyn nodded and leaned forward, "I don't pay you anymore, so you can leave anytime you want. But, I've actually got a surprise for you."

Jessie's brows knitted in curiosity. She leaned forward, as well, "what is it, Doctor Isles?"

Marilyn smiled widely, "I talked to Gina, and she said that you can shadow her for a week. She's the Chief at—"

"I know, is she serious though?" Jessie's jaw twitched. She was trying to get away from Marilyn, including any person who was connected to her. And out of all things, her wife was offering her something that she couldn't refuse.

"Yes. One hundred and ten percent. You can start tomorrow."

"Wow," Jessie swallowed hard. Somehow, shadowing Harold didn't seem so stressful anymore.

"Is that a yes?"

Jessie hesitated, but still nodded. Her mouth immediately became dry, and her thoughts spiraled in her head, "yes, it's an offer that I just can't refuse," Jessie forced a smile, which didn't go unnoticed by Marilyn.

"This is good, Jess. Don't worry so much."

Jessie nodded. I'm fucking hyperventilating.

But why was she? Jessie pulled her blazer tighter around her petite figure, and offered Marilyn a warm smile, "I appreciate it. This means I'm finally out the doors then?"

Marilyn pressed her lips together to cover up a frown. She'd miss Jessie. Jessie had become a part of Marilyn's everyday routine, and without her, the days just wouldn't be the same, "yes, you finally get to resign gracefully."

"Oh, so you're not firing me, I see," Jessie grinned widely.

"I could never fire Jessie Nightingale," Marilyn studied Jessie's face. She'd always tried to figure out what Jessie was thinking, or why she seemed to be in her head most of the time.

"Yes, I'm taking a trip to South America in a few weeks. So, you definitely won't see me around for a while."

Marilyn's swallowed and rubbed the palms of her hands together, "an adventure?"

Jessie shook her head, "pleasure, my parents are celebrating their fortieth anniversary, and decided that Argentina's the place to be."

"Renewing their vows?"

Jessie shook her head, again, "they did that ten years ago. My mom just wants to get all of us together. I haven't seen my sisters in a while."

Marilyn pulled her hair over her shoulders, and continued to look at Jessie straight in the eyes. It made Jessie uncomfortable. Marilyn was quite intimidating, and at the same time, gorgeous, "I hope you enjoy your trip. When will you be back?" Marilyn asked.

Jessie fumbled with a button on her blazer, "I'm not sure actually. I'm taking a trip to London to spend some time with my eldest sister and her family after, then I'll probably pop in to spend some time with my other sister in Hawaii."

"You guys are scattered all over."

Jessie smiled. It had been years since all of them lived in the same place, "my parents haven't been on a vacation in ages. My dad's always too busy with the practice."

"My parents have never left Chicago, and never plan to for that matter," Marilyn said. Marilyn thought that she'd grown up in probably one of the most conventional households in the State.

"Have you travelled?"

Marilyn nodded, "when I was younger, but I've set roots right here. This practice, my wife..."

Jessie sucked in a breath, "I haven't gotten to that point of setting roots, maybe because I'm so uncertain about my future."

Marilyn narrowed her eyes, "can I ask you a question?" Jessie nodded in approval, "why not do your research at your father's practice? Why here?"

Jessie always had an immediate answer when it came to anything pertaining to her father, "I'm under a microscope there. Everyone looks at me like I'm the Queen of fucking gay town," Marilyn chuckled, "seriously, there's nothing fun about Life Springs."

"And the element of surprise too. For a moment, you had us all fooled," Marilyn said.

Jessie pursed her lips. She still hadn't managed to get rid of her writer's block, or maybe, it was a sign that she wasn't meant for romance, both professionally and personally, "couldn't fool Gina though, could I?"

There was an awkward silence for a few, long seconds. Marilyn cleared her throat, and leaned back in her seat, "she's a huge fan of yours, so, of course not."

Jessie began to feel uncomfortable again, "I'll leave a bit early, if you don't mind."

"Consider that your resignation, Miss Nightingale," Marilyn flashed Jessie a comforting smile.

"It was a pleasure working here, Doctor Isles."