Chapter 10: Elf World?

I started to hear rushing water. I wiggled my fingers and I slowly opened my eyes. It felt like someone was trying to shut my eyes, but I forced them open. I was blinded by bright sunlight, but my eyes slowly adjusted. I tried to lift my neck up, but it felt like a cinder block and I had to flop back down. "Easy there Esmeray." I heard Reael's voice, and I instantly relaxed. "We escaped?" I asked in a quiet raspy voice, and she nodded. "You took a very bad beating, but you are a very strong warrior. You have earned my respect." she said. She put her hand over her chest and nodded just like my grandfather had done when I first met him. I tried to will my arm to do the same, but it was too heavy. "Easy, you are coming back from death, it's going to take a while to regain your strength." she said. I groaned. "How long was I out?" I asked, and she looked off into the distance. "Almost four days." she said, and I closed my eyes. "Oh no." I groaned. "It's okay, sleep, rest, you are in no rush." she said. I drifted back to sleep listening to her calming voice.

When I woke up again I felt much better and I could easily lift my neck and sit up. I noticed that Reael wasn't anywhere to be seen. I was lying in a make shift bed made up out of leaves and grass, and it was actually comfortable. I was lying next to a beautiful stream with colorful fish and lily pads sprinkled about. It was only barely smaller than the gardens outside of the Academy. I looked at the water and it was a very strange color of blue. I put my hand into the water and it looked like blue food coloring had been poured into it. I stared at it in amazement. There was no way this was normal water, something was different. "You're up, good." I heard Reael say as she walked out of the forest carrying a bunch of fruit I have never seen before. "We have been here for six days in total, and I'm sure my kingdom is starting to worry about Me." she said and I nodded, "Okay, let's get going." I said. She gave me a warning look. "You must not push yourself in anyway, understood?" she said in a stern mother-like way and I nodded. She sat back, "We will go once we eat." she said. She handed me an odd looking fruit. "How did you save me?" I asked. "I have been trained in the art of healing since I was very young." she said as she ripped into the fruit like a wolf attacking its prey. "No, I mean how did you manage to take out the guy that was going to kill me?" I asked. She looked up in surprise. "I heard you screaming, but when I finally found where you were, you were passed out on the ground with a guy dead next to you." she said, and I was shocked. I suddenly remembered how I rang the fairy necklace. I touched it and I felt the cold on my chest. The fairies had saved me, and I had to remember to thank them for them saving my life. I looked at the strange fruit in my hand, and my mouth began to water, so I took a large bite. The fruit was the sweetest and most delicious thing I had ever tasted. There was a few moments of silence as I enjoyed the unique fruit. "So, your mother was elfish?" she asked. I looked at her surprised that she had started a conversation. "Yes, and my father is one of the gifted. Guess that kinda makes me a target, huh" I said, and she nodded in total seriousness. "The elfish people are welcoming, but that does not mean there won't be hostile people in our realm. It is safer than your realm at the moment, but that does not mean you don't have enemies." she said. Again she had the mother-like quality I hadn't heard in a long time. "So I am in the elfish realm?" I asked, and she nodded. "So I am no longer in the mortal world? I am in the world full of magical beings." I said, and she nodded. "I was barely able to get you through the portal." she said. I just stared at her taking it all in. "Thank you. Thank you for everything you have done for me. You saved my life, and I won't forget that" I said. She put her hand over her chest and nodded, "We are blood sisters, and sisters are there for each other" she said. I did the elfish salute back to her. "There is much you do not understand about this realm, so trust me, and don't do anything stupid." she said as she stood and walked over to her satchel that laid on a nearby rock. "You also need to fit in, or you will become a target." she said, and she handed me an earthy dress. "Wow, this dress is beautiful!" I said. It was a medieval green dress with long flowy sleeves, and a beautiful belt. I walked into the forest and changed into the beautiful medieval dress. It was very comfortable, and I felt like a princess in it. When I walked out of the forest Reael smiled, "You look truly stunning, just make sure not to act interested in anybody. You have to seem above everyone else, and you have to pretend I'm your body guard" she said. I gave her a questioning look, "Why do I have to be the one to act above everyone. I know nothing about this realm, I'll be walking blind." I said, and she nodded "I am very well known for protecting highly respected people in the elfish realm, and I could never pass as one of the high class." she said, and I knew she was right, but I really wished she wasn't. "Good, I think we are ready to get going. Oh, wait. All elfish people mark their face to show status, and you have to put your hair down to hide that your ears aren't pointed" she said. I let my hair out of my pony tail and it fell to the lower part of my back. She brought out paint and started marking my face. She put a white zig zag line under my eyes, and a white line down my chin. Then she put a crown looking, head band thing on my head. It had a diamond on it and it was beautiful. I looked at my reflection in the water, and I looked like genuine elf. "Okay, let's go" Reael said, and we headed into the woods.