The Marking

Geralt went over to Lillian, who was pretending to sleep. He could hear her heart beating rather quickly as he came closer, suggesting she could listen to his footsteps. She may have been still scared just because of everything that had happened to her. If he proved he wasn't going to hurt her, then maybe she would trust him more. They were going to burn the mark tomorrow, and hopefully, that would keep her from getting taken. He put a blanket over her and went back to the campfire.

"I don't care about her, Jaskier," Geralt informed as Jaskier looked at him with a smile.

"Sure, then I am not a bard," he said as Geralt grunted.

"I can fix that real quick," he said.

"Come on, you looked for her all year," Jaskier pointed out.

"No, I didn't. I gave up almost completely after six months. I was hoping Lillian was dead, but I was wrong," he said.

"But why, if you care to fire her, then why did you stop?" He asked.

"Do you know why they would pay me so much to recapture Lillian?" He asked.

"Not other than she is stunning, " he answered.

"She doesn't age, and she is a virgin. Both are rare, so the first customer would make him the most coin. The things men do to women like her isn't pretty," he informed.

"Hence why you are so protective of her. I told you, you do care about her don't you deny it," Jaskier said as Geralt glared at him angrily.

He looked behind him and concentrated a bit to see if she was sleeping, and she was. He was thankful she was; otherwise, she would know he did. He was trying to give her options on what to do with her life because she wasn't aging. He didn't want her to waste her life hunting monsters when she could have a family; that's if she could. She might not be able to at all; she could have been cursed without even knowing it.

"So, how long will she stay with us?" He asked.

"Does it matter?" Geralt asked.

"No, I guess not; you are in a horrible mood all the time, Geralt; smile more," Jaskier said as Geralt grunted and laid down on the grass so he could sleep.

Jaskier couldn't understand why he was distancing himself from her, but it could just be because he a shit if something happened to her. He was showing how much he cared by staying away from her and giving her space to breathe. Maybe she was also a lot scarier than what he was letting on.

Geralt woke up to laughter, and he wasn't happy about that. He got up and started to collect his things when he saw her laughing with Jaskier. He was trying to write a song, but it had to be bad if she was laughing at him. She saw Geralt and headed over to him with his folded blanket.

"I didn't think witchers liked blankets," Lillian said with a smile as she handed it to him.

He didn't look at her for a moment, but when he did smile was still smiling at him and had flowers in her hair again. He was kind of shocked, but she seemed better than yesterday. She walked away and petted Roach, who also had flowers in her mane. He wasn't too happy about that, and he didn't know how to tell her to stop other than saying stop. Maybe if he burned the mark off, she would return to how she was last night.

"Let's get that mark off of you," Geralt said as Lillian sighed.

He made a fire, and Lillian sat next to get ready for the mark to be gone. She was nervous, and she didn't want to get hurt again, but she showed him her arm as the blade started turning red. He looked at her arm, then at her.

"It won't hurt for long, but you might want to bite down on a stick," he said as Jaskier sat down next to her and gave her a stick.

"At least this should help me not get retaken," she sighed; then, before she had time to even think about it, he put the knife on her skin, burning the mark off and making her scream in pain.

Lillian smacked him hard in anger and then held her hurt arm.

"You should have asked me if I was ready!" She growled as he rubbed his face.

"You were distracted enough; it would have hurt more if you knew it was coming," he said as he went to Roach to grab some water and some bandages for her.

"Sorry I hit you; it just really hurt," he said as he returned and looked at it.

"Does it hurt now?" He asked.

"No, why?" She asked as he saw it was healing quickly, but the mark came back.

"Because it healed already, but the mark also came back," he answered.

"What?! What kind of mark does that?!" She asked as Jaskier looked at it.

"It's not a slave marker, it's something else, and it isn't going anywhere soon," he answered.

"Burn it off again or cut it off! I don't want to be enslaved anymore, Geralt," she said as he held her arms down at her side to keep her from panicking.

"It isn't going to come off, Lillian. I don't think it's a slave marker," he said as she looked at him with tears.

"Do you know how many times I have been sold and treated like shit, Geralt! Too many times for me to count or care about anymore because I want to forget that. I will never be able to forget about it until this mark is gone! Danny gave it to me, so why don't we talk to him about it or talk to a witch or wizard to see what it is? Please, Geralt, get it off me; I will be putting you in danger no matter where we go because of it!" She said as she freed herself from him.

"For now, we will cover it up and see if that will help. We will figure out what it is but trying everything to take it off will hurt you more than helping you. Let's go to an inn and take a break there for a day. There might be a job we can do," he said, changing the subject.

"Fine," she said as she looked at the ground sadly and walked over to Jaskier.

"Don't worry; we will figure it out; it might just be as simple as a kiss from your true love," Jaskier smirked.

"I don't have one, and Jaskier, the only time anyone would even try to care for me is if they want to get in my pants because I'm a virgin," she muttered, annoyed as Jaskier looked at her, shocked.

"At your age? I thought that Geralt was lying about that," Jaskier said.

"Yes, at my age! I had a job to do for most of my life, and I never cared for the men that I met. I don't just sleep around because I think it's a great id, ea, and I want the sex. I wanted a real relationship, not one that gives me meaningless pleasure. I'm not like most women, and I'm certainly not like you sleeping with whores! Do you know how many women you got pregnant? I think about the consequences of my actions. I don't want to have a baby and not know who the father is," she growled at him coldly.

She was just angry at the mark, and hopefully, they could get it off of her so that one would take her. Jaskier stepped back in shock and went to Geralt's side quickly.

"I think she might be mad," he stated.

"Whatever made you believe she was?" Geralt asked.

Sarcasm, Jaskier didn't like it when he did it. Which meant he needed to shut up before he said something that would get him pushed in the face.