CH. FOUR _ [Rowan]

"It's just a week in Mexico City. You need to talk to him. He's overreacting."

Adelaide, my father's youngest daughter, had called at six in the damn morning to complain about said father. Of course she didn't care because it was two pm in Zurich. Luckily my injuries had robbed me of any sleep, urging me to work on my bike just when she'd called.

"You want to go to Mexico with a bunch of kids he doesn't know, he's under-reacting if anything," I said, adjusting the phone on my shoulder as I rolled up the large garage door.

"They're Le Rosey seniors that I share a dorm with, I know them well. And besides, Mexico is a lot closer to home than Tokyo and yet he let me go there during the summer without a fuss."

I winced at the sight of my wrecked baby. Next to the two gleaming snowmobiles, she looked like she belonged in a junkyard.

"The only reason he let you spend the summer there is because he's close friends with Akira's parents. And you were safe," I said, going to inspect the damage more closely.

"Akira's parents didn't let us leave the house on our own. Being friends with the Japanese Prime Minister's daughter isn't as fancy-schmancy as you'd think. Freedom is but a rumor there."

"See now you just sound like a brat."

"RoRo!"

I rolled my eyes as I searched for a wrench in the tool box. "I'll talk to him."

"Really?" I could imagine her dimpled smile.

"Yeah, but I'm not making any promises."

"I know, but with the mid-term holiday ending soon..."

The rattling sound of an old engine pulled my attention away from the phone call. Curious, I looked up from my bike just in time to see an old truck drive up the driveway before stopping at the pathway that led to the back of the house.

From where I stood, I could see who stepped out of the car. It was the punch-spilling maid.

I instinctively set my eyes on the driver, and even through his closed window, he looked vaguely familiar.

When I looked back at the maid, she was frozen on her spot, her gaze on me.

Just as a wave of goosebumps made its way up my spine, she swung around and practically jogged down the pathway like a frightened deer.

I frowned. "What the hell did I do to that woman?"

"What? What woman?" Adelaide said on the other end, drawing back my attention.

"Nothing. I'll talk to you later and tell you how it goes."

"Ro-"

I hung up and shoved my phone into the back pocket of my shorts. I'd know her full name and what her deal was by the end of the morning.

Morning came and went.

Thanks to my father, I had a newly hired aide who'd stayed by my side the whole morning.

She was a stone-faced woman who had put me through the shittiest most painful physio I'd ever had. My leg felt even worse than it did before.

"Are you sure she's licensed?" I asked my father as we had lunch in the dining room.

"Who?"

I felt inclined to whisper. "Her." I gestured to the unmoving woman standing in the massive doorway, eerily staring at nothing but me.

He gave me a lopsided smile. "Why do you ask?"

"The physiotherapy was missing a whole lot of therapy. And, just a thought, a little sign of humanity could go a long way."