Chapter 13 - Liam POV: An initiation of sorts

We swung gently with both our feet on the ground while I convinced Charlie to come with us tonight. The real reason? Josh's eyes were on Jude the instant he came through the door, only looking away to be replaced by Jude's lookalike. I felt that tension thick enough to be cut, even as a bystander. I didn't know who the adult with them was, but he seemed to recognise Jude, too. Jude was like a bug, waiting around to be overpowered and squashed.

I made it sound like no big deal getting the guys to come along, but the whole convincing shenanigan with Charlie wasn't going quite the way I hoped. If only he could read my mind to understand the potential severity of the situation. "You're really asking us to burn inside a church for your little pet homophobe?" Charlie asked through the phone.

Just as well I didn't put him on speaker.

"Yes," I answered. "It'll be fun, plus heaps of people will be there from school anyway."

"Can you sneak us some dumplings in return?" he asked.

"Alright," I sighed. Mum was ready to pull my ears for all the side dishes she had to prepare whenever I bargained with any of the guys. It was just as well she loved cooking.

The was some mumbling in the background between Charlie and the guys.

"The fellas say deal," Charlie said. Jude was leaning from his side to mine, staring at me with intent and anticipation. I curled my thumb and forefinger to signify okay and enjoyed watching all the tension from his body relax as he sighed with relief. "We'll head over now."

"Righto," I said and ended the call.

Jude seemed surprisingly excited by the fact that they were coming. His face completely lit up and began putting a modicum of energy into his swings. I decided to join him and our leisurely play turned into a competition of who could swing the highest. Soon the boys joined us and Charlie was quick to tackle me off the swing, only for Goose to claim it.

Only after picking ourselves off the ground and brushing the soft bark off our clothes did the guys all formally introduce themselves to Jude. Goose was probably the most polite and casual out of the dealings, while Charlie and Ben maintained their loose-lipped reputation as always.

"How you doing, God-boy?" Charlie asked, sticking out his hand.

"Why're you always calling me a dick when you're a dick?" Ben asked.

"Shush, dick," Charlie answered, gripping Jude's hand probably a little tighter than he needed to. "Reckon Jesus'll like me or smite me?"

Jude quickly retracted his hand and shied away to my side, evidently unable to keep up with Charlie's somewhat confrontational approach to the human species. He was a little loud and proud with barely any filter, but he did have set beliefs regarding equality and was way ahead of the times in normalising LGBTQ plus. He was one of the first people who stood up for Niko when she came out, which is probably also why he would be extra chaotic around the likes of Jude.

"I'm the one who's gonna send you there if you keep that shit up," I said. Jude looked up at me with furrowed brows, probably disapproving of my language. Oops. "Stuff...up, I meant."

"Is that a promise or a threat, daddy?" Charlie asked, putting on his provocative voice again. I felt pretty confident that Jude wouldn't know it's a joke. "Since it's Friday, should we sleepover tonight?"

"Sounds cool," I said.

"You're only invited if you're bringing those dumplings," Charlie said, which both Goose and Ben nodded their heads in agreement.

"Sleepover?" Jude asked, looking up at me with mild disgust. "Isn't that kinda gay?"

Charlie snorted his laughter, while Ben and Goose had the decency to look away embarrassed. There really was no helping this kid.