Chapter Fourteen

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. 

When the trees began to make way for once white buildings and air so smokey it seemed cloudy, Odette began to brace herself. It was only late afternoon and she arrived days before she was supposed to. Her face was stinging, her body aching. It had taken an entire day and three Capitol officials to declare she looked too ugly to stay. Despite the bruising and swelling, her prep team had tried to make her look 'normal'. It had hurt, but now that she was gathering her few things, she was glad for it.

The violence that was put upon her was impossible to hide, but it didn't look as bad now. Not with the makeup, her hair loose, a jacket, and a long skirt. Her face was only a little swollen when she saw herself in the window. She looked away, wiped her hands on her skirt. They were clammy. Neil would be waiting for her; she'd called him, she'd wanted him there. Now that she was supposed to face him, she wasn't sure if it had been the right decision.

The train came to a halt, she kept herself upright by bracing a hand against the wall. It would be hard, it would be unavoidable, but she could do it. The doors opened automatically.

As promised, Neil was sitting on one of the few benches. Though it was still summer, he wore a sweater. It never got really hot in district eight, partly because of the fabric factories, partly because it just never had.

Even from the distance, Odette could see him smile when he rose, lifting his arm to wave at her. It was an unanticipated relief to see him. Neil, who was so good to her, who would never hurt anyone unless he had to. Odette almost raced down the stairs, because while she'd never wanted pity, she always wanted someone to care.

"Hello," he said when she came closer. Without meaning to, Odette had ducked and shifted her head, hoping to distract him from the swelling just a bit longer. She just needed a normal moment. Without a word, she hugged him. She held him tight, pressing her face against his sweater. "Whoa," he laughed, hugging her back. It was good to see him more relaxed than he had been in the Capitol. To feel his laugh rumbling through her body. She'd missed being home. "This is a nice welcome."

"I just... I missed you." She said, only releasing him a little bit. She felt him smile.

"Missed me? You've been gone for just two extra days. What's that about, anyway?"

Odette didn't know how to explain. She wasn't certain that even if she could, the words would ever leave her mouth. It was hard enough to mention what she was forced to do. To know everyone knew just why she stayed longer, even if they didn't know her motives. They never asked her about it, because things you can't see are easier left unsaid. They were going to ask about this, because she had a stamp on her face, her body. They couldn't pretend to not know.

When she looked up as an explanation, she saw his face change before he pushed her at arm's length to take a look at her. "Fuck," he said softly, pulling her into a hug once more. "I'm sorry, Odette."