Chapter Eleven

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

It was different to have Johanna in her room with the bright overhead lighting, without the familiar buzz of alcohol or desire. Instead, there was a strange heaviness in the silence as Odette shuffled through the drawers. There wasn't really supposed to be stuff in there, but she came every year, so she'd left some of her thing behind. All the gifts of Capitol people were hidden there somewhere, too. Deep in the drawers or closets, hoping she'd never have to look at any of it again.

"Why do you even have that stuff up here?" The rhythmic thunk of Johanna's boots against the bedframe was comforting, breaking their strange silence at least a little. Odette found what she needed and turned around.

"Just in case," she said with a shrug, placing the items next to Johanna. "It's come in handy enough times, I'm not getting rid of it." She didn't mention the time Woof got so drunk he cracked his head open. Or how sometimes, Neil got in trouble. She certainly didn't mention what happened after everyone had gone home.

She put some of the alcohol on a cotton ball, tilting Johanna's head up with her other hand. The light shone down harshly on her, making her face all sharp edges. Until Odette leaned over her a bit, covering her partly in shadows. She tried not to pay attention to her face, instead pressing the ball to the cut. She felt Johanna stiffen, but her eyes stayed on Odette. Her own heart beat faster, her body simply reacting to a look.

There was no glass in the cut and Johanna had protested to a bandaid, so Odette had opted for a cream instead. She discarded the cotton ball and exchanged it for the cream. She kept her eyes pointedly on her own fingers, afraid that if she looked at Johanna, guilt would overcome her again. She still couldn't quite believe what she'd done. That small, desperate part of her that had gotten her through her games was still very much alive. She thought it had died when her heart had stopped. There was no reason for her to keep fighting. Shouldn't people only have enough fight in them for one lifetime?

Their knees touched when Odette leaned closer again. As soft as she could, she applied the cream to the cut, Johanna shifted when she rubbed it in. She glanced down at her face, expecting to see discomfort or pain. Instead, Johanna was already looking at her as if the cut wasn't even there. As if Odette was simply standing above her, protecting her from the light with her body and hand.

It was unexpected and she stopped breathing for a moment. Electricity seemed to run through the air, making each move more thrilling, each touch heavier.

Odette wanted to break free. No, she didn't. It reminded her of the night they'd first kissed. A strange connection and understanding without words, the same electricity. Johanna was waiting for her.

Her hand slid from her forehead to high up her cheek as she moved closer. She leaned in, Johanna's legs snapped together, a hand reaching for Odette's hip. "Does it feel better now?" She barely breathed it out, her free hand slipped to the back of her neck. Her hair was unusually soft.