Chapter 14

Ben Barnes (Jared)-------->

**Preston's P.O.V** 

Scott I need you to run the perimeter on the east, take Landon and a few of the trackers with you. Mike you go south near the river, you smell anyone you report it, Nick, Natasha stay near the north. I growled out. 

Early today we caught scent of a werewolf, one of the rogues that had passed through. All week I have been stressing over what we are going to do if we caught one of their scents. The boy in the cell has given us all he could, I knew he was telling us the truth and he doesn't know a whole lot. I still keep a watch over him but I know the pack is unsettled by his presents, they want him gone. But I couldn't allow that, not until we know more about this pack of rogues. 

Taking to the west I moved fast through the trees, going to the one place I knew by heart. Dee's house. Besides worrying over the pack of rogues I have been caught up in Dee. Hearing her story of her mother really made things real for me. That what she has to say isn't going to be all flowers and roses, and happy things. Especially her reaction to when I asked about Joey. And seeing her panicked look just at the sound of his name angered me. What could this guy have done to her? To her family?  

I have been running patrol at her house all week, something just didn't feel right. It could be from Katy's news on Dee's ex-boyfriend coming back to school, or something else, something darker. I don't know, but I have to keep her safe, my wolf is insisting on it.  

Padding softly into the little clearing that I had made for myself I sat quietly. The spot giving me perfect view of the house. I could hear her humming softly to herself somewhere within the house. I knew she wasn't alone because the tv was on a sports channel and her brothers car was in the driveway. I knew I could only stay for a little while before I had to get going again. 

I never knew how hard it would be to run a pack and still chase after a mate. Normally Alpha sons find their mate when they first turn. And their mate normally isn't human, if only she was born a werewolf and she trusted me more. I wouldn't have to be going through all this. I can't focus on my new duties, on my work, and on my pack, not when I know she's not safe, that someone is looking for her.  

The leader of this pack of rogues sure knows what he's doing, keeping his identity a secret from everyone. This unsettles me to hear, taking on an unknown with very little details about him... bothers me. I see movement in her window and my eyes immediately draw up to her lean figure. She's wearing a tank top, her hair piled up on the top of her head on a messy bun. She isn't wearing her glasses, leaving me to marvel at her beautiful face. She looks so lovely when she's not hiding behind the baggy clothes and glasses. I have noted that she hasn't been wearing baggy jeans anymore. The first day of school when I saw her, it was all about the sweats, but now she's ditched the sweats and switched to jeans. Showing off her perfectly lean legs that looked like they went on for miles and nicely toned backside. 

I snort at this, get your mind out of the gutter. She is still humming softly to herself as she sneaks a peek out of the window, her eyes scanning the woods. Does she feel my presents? My wolf dances in pure happiness at this thought. The connection between us is growing so much; it's only a matter of time before she figures it out. I can see her confusion every time I see her staring at me. 

Her eyes zero in on the place I'm nestled. I hunker down so I wouldn't be seen, even though I know the trees and bushes cover me just fine. Her humming falters just for a second before returning as she tires away from the window. Letting out a small breath I get up shaking my body just a little to get the dirt off of me. 

With one last glance at the house I'm off into the woods, opening up the pack link once more. I know I shouldn't sever the link to my pack, not when I'm Alpha now, but having those few moments of silence as I look at my mate. It was pure bliss. But now I have to hear my pack report to each other the scent their getting and everything.