Chapter 3

Grace

The woman flipped her long blond hair over her shoulder and pulled her shoulders back Her lip trembled, but she held her head high as she stormed out of the library. I wanted to ask, but it was none of my business. Totally none of my business. Not even when he told that woman he was off the market. I wanted to know what that meant.

Again, none of my business.

Once I clocked out, we'd go to this diner, eat, and rehash old times. We'd talk about what happened to me, to him, and that would be it. Old friends catching up, and then we could move on with our lives. Maybe I'd finally be able to let him go.

An ache filled my chest at that thought. The same old ache that had been my constant companion for years.

After the woman stormed out, a steady stream of people came to the desk, preventing me from asking him about her. Probably a good thing since I wasn't sure I wanted to know. Expecting him to be alone this entire time was insane. I focused on my job, my love of books and research, and tried to ignore the man sitting at the table.

My shift was almost over. A lot of students and faculty showed up in the last hour before they headed off to dinner. The next major rush would be just before the library closed at night.

"Grace, how are you?" Professor Miklovich asked as she sat two heavy tomes on the counter.

I smiled at the older woman. She had graying blond hair and bright blue eyes surrounded by tiny crow's feet. During my first semester, she'd been my ancient history professor. I'd only taken the course to fill an elective, but I had loved it. There was something romantic about the Greeks and Romans. And incredibly bloody. Kind of like watching a hockey game. "Wonderful. And you, Professor?"

"I, too, am wonderful." She grinned and laugh lines appeared at the corners of her mouth. This was a woman who had aged very well, and she carried herself with pride. I'd learned more from watching her in class than she probably knew. "Now, when are you going to switch majors and join my department? You'd be an excellent historian."

I sucked in a breath then giggled. "Thank you. Maybe I'll get another degree once I get my master's. The library's my favorite place though."

"Well, as a historian, you'd spend a lot of time in libraries." She pointed at her stack of books. I pulled them toward me, caressing the worn leather. "I'm working on a book on the historical accuracy of Greek myths. It's fascinating."

"Oh, that does sound interesting." I scanned her ID, then each book, and set everything back on the counter.

"I'm looking for a research assistant this year. Normally I'd hire a student in my field, but your research is unparalleled. Would you be interested in the job?" She leaned against the stack and tapped the edge of the top book with her short nail. "It doesn't pay much, and I can work around your library schedule if that's a problem."

I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. My hands fluttered to my chest.

Professor Miklovich smiled as she took the heavy tombs off the desk and put them in her oversized messenger bag. "I'll send you an email and we can schedule a time to meet tomorrow. You know where my office is."

"Yes, ma'am." I grinned as she lugged her heavy bag toward the exit. She greeted a few students as she left, and others dodged out of her way. The job wasn't library work, but the possibility of doing research for a well-known, well-published professor would be amazing. It wasn't just history, either. I loved to research pretty much anything. As long as I read, my grandmother left me alone.