15 - Motherly advice

"Hey, mom? Are you home?" I call as soon as I step inside my childhood home

"In here," she calls from the inside.

Following her voice, I find her in the living room with a sleeping Wilder pressed against her side.

"Shouldn't you be in school? I thought you were only coming tomorrow?" She quirks an eyebrow and I smile, guiltily.

I plop down on the big old recliner that used to be Nana's. 

"I had to come, I..." I pause, taking a deep breath. "I feel like I need to talk to Abby but I don't know what to even say myself."

"And couldn't that wait until tomorrow? Dylan, I don't like you missing classes. You know school is important." 

"I know ma, don't worry it's just two days. I'll recover everything, I promise." 

With pursed lips she caves in, nodding.

"Ok, so what was so important that you had to miss school to talk to Abby about?"

I look at her for a second before looking back at the ceiling, thinking of a way to tell her. She might be able to help me rationalize everything and find a good approach to not poke on Abby's alter-ego.

Who am I kidding? Abby's alter-ego is her, always awake and waiting for a chance to strike.

I met a girl.

A loud gasp startles me and I flick my eyes away from the ceiling to my mom.

Shit, I said it out loud.

"Dylan, I hope that you didn't cheat on Abby!" She scolds. "I taught you better than-"

"I didn't," I sigh. 

Not yet at least but I don't know if I'll be able to hold up much longer if I keep hanging out with her. 

I could avoid her...

Could I? 

Even after almost kissing her and spending three days beating myself up for that, not once did the intent of avoiding her cross my mind.

Even now, if I close my eyes, it's Luna's face that appears on my brain, not Abby's.

"But it's fucking weird mom. They're different and when I am with Luna, it's like I forget there's even a world out there. She becomes the focus, she's beautiful. Always with this badass attitude, sassy and independent. She's always getting on my nerves, making fun of me and embarrassing me to death but I fucking love it!"

When I open my eyes again, I notice my mom looking at me with an amused expression.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing," she claims, raising her hands. "I have just... never seen you like this."