Chapter Twenty

A commotion wakes me up. Leo, Tara and Brandon are caught in a shouting match. Rubbing my eyes, I stretch my stiff neck from sleeping in an awkward position on the sofa.

"You dickhead. Why did you leave Kat alone last night? She could have been taken, you stupid-"

"Shut up, Tara. It's not my fault. I was here when he ran off. He saw me and fled before I could catch up, so obviously he didn't have a chance to kidnap her."

"Tara is right, Mr. Scott. What if Antonio had fled earlier when you were not there? Do you have magical powers maybe?"

Brandon scoffs. "First of all, stop fucking calling me 'Mr. Scott' and second of all, he left and Kathryn is safe. That's all that matters."

Tara rolls her eyes. "You're being stupid, you twat. You're at fault here and you just don't want to admit it. See, even Leo agrees." She nods at Leo who just clenches his jaw in response. Brandon laughs dryly without any humor. "Don't be fucking delusional, Tara. He'll obviously take your side because he's head over dicks for you."

She rubs her forehead, her expression full of pain. "He isn't. And that's not what this is about."

"I'm right." Brandon interrupts. "He's always staring moony eyed at you and you're just hiding feelings because you like to-" he pauses, trying to grasp at words. Tara looks on the verge of crying, her hands shaking almost imperceptibly. I stand up and clamp Brandon's mouth shut.

"Don't say anything. You're making it worse." I mutter. Tara glares at him and flips him the middle finger before storming away, her face like thunder. Leo looks at her and exhales through his mouth. "Morning, Kathryn. You look lovely." He comments. I blink. "Leo, now is not the time for your sarcasm." My voice sounds so heavy and tired even though I slept like a log. "Please go check on Tara. She looked pretty hurt."

"Yes, because that is my responsibility since I'm in love with her. Aren't you her best friend? You go help."

Five minutes into this day and it's already frickin' annoying. "Fine." I say softly and follow Tara. Brandon left me alone with Antonio. Leo was right. What if he had escaped earlier and taken me away? I definitely wouldn't have been able to run away a second time. The thought itself sends shivers through me. My eyes prick painfully, but I don't want to cry; I'm too tired for that. I go up the stairs, walk past the room I sleep in and find Tara sitting on the bed, staring at a wall, door wide open.

I knock twice to announce my presence but don't wait for her response. Without saying anything, I sit right next to her and hold her warm hand. She doesn't speak either, so I just keep the silence and let it envelop over us like a blanket. Tara doesn't appreciate being forced and I respect that. After a few minutes, I let out a sigh. "I love you, T."

Tara smiles and leans against me. "I love you too, Kat. Thanks for being there for me."

"We are forever, babe."

"I was just scared for your safety." She says, looking into my eyes. The hazel and gold glint in the dim light, showing deep emotions. I bite my lip and nod. "I know you worry, but you didn't have to scream at Brandon."

Tara raises her hands. "I know. And I'm gonna apologize. You know that." She adds. I nod again. Looking around, I try to find out how I should broach the topic of Leo. She might have a tiny crush on him but I don't think she knows that Leo likes her back. She has always been so blind to affection from people she doesn't know. Tara has a hard time believing that she could interest others. She does have lots of self confidence but she thinks it's her curse to die unloved or something. It took her one and a half months to realize that I was genuinely interested to be friends with her.