Chapter Four

Being kidnapped and assaulted apparently doesn't manage to get you VIP treatment from your best friend. She makes me do many chores, claiming it'll be a good distraction.

I think she's just trying to reduce her own work.

Tara sits in front of the TV, flipping through channels as she wolfs down popcorn and complains that none of the movies are good enough.

"Let's rewatch Glee." I suggest, placing the dish cloth and settling into the couch next to her.

"No," she wails good naturedly. "Let's watch Titanic."

"Eh." I make a face at her and she flicks my nose. Her dark hair is tied in an elaborate braid and her eyes almost glow in the dark. "You know," I say, tilting my head. "The first time I saw you, I thought you were some dark emo goth princess."

Tara cracks up and sets the remote down, turning towards me. "Really? I remember you staring at me and I told you to cut it off."

"And then you bought me ice cream to say sorry for snapping for me." I grin, remembering that day as if it were yesterday.

We talk late into the night, talking about old memories. After midnight the bell rings and I go to check it since Tara has fallen asleep on the couch, curled up like a cat.

The door creaks open as I peep outside. The figure stands in the shadows and I open the door farther, letting the light fall on the person.

My eyes go wide as I recognize the person. I clamp my hand on my mouth. "Kieran."

I feel weak in the knees and fall to the ground, tears streaming down my face.

Kieran sighs. "Hey."

"B-but you were dead." I choke. My half brother stands on my doorstep, who I've known to be dead for two years.

"Good to see you too, hermana. " He says wryly. Kieran casts a glance around. "Can I come in? I'll explain."

My thoughts are all jumbled up and I can't think straight. How is this possible? My little brother is- was- dead and it had broken a small piece of me. Is this even real?

The number of times I wished, prayed and hoped that my brother was back with me is countless and here he stands. My brain refuses to believe it. Could this be a cruel trick?

Something inexplicable leads me to think that maybe, just maybe he could really be Kieran.

I shake my head and stand up, wiping my tears. "I'll come outside. Wait, I'll grab a jacket and come."

Closing the door behind me, I close my eyes and rub at them tiredly. Is my mind playing tricks on me? I was at Kieran's funeral. Granted we had never actually seen Kieran's body after the car accident but he is supposed to be dead.

His face had been messed up beyond recognition so we just had to take the police's word that he was ours.

My brother is alive.

Breath hitching, I take my red jacket that is hanging from a peg on the wall and open the door again. At the last minute, I realize that Tara will go batshit crazy if she finds me missing. Again.

I write her a note saying that I'm going for a walk with a friend and join Kieran who is standing at the curb.

I stand and observe him for a moment. He looks different, but maybe that's because the memory of his face was fading. Photos don't do anyone or anything justice. His brown curls move in the breeze, hanging past his ears a little and his nose is slightly upturned. His painfully familiar gray eyes snap to me and he smiles gently.