Little Brother's Day Out

It was a midday Thursday in late autumn when the event that changed Damian and Tim's relationship happened.
Tim learned to rely on Damian and Damian learned that Drake would have his back if necessary even if not requested.

Drake was out as the Co-CEO of Wayne Enterprises and Damian was patrolling as Robin.
For the latter it was an exercise to not only work at night and also get a look of Gotham during the day.
He was also the only one on patrol right now.

Grayson and Todd were at the mall while his father was sick after having pulled too many all-nighters, even for his standards. Hence Pennyworth was taking care of him and minding the house, as usual. This also meant that Damian was scot-free from any of his family showing up and stalking him on the job.
Which his father and Grayson would be doing most of time when he flies a new exercise or test. Todd only did it when he knew it concerned him or if Damian ventured into Crime Alley alone.

Which is where he was at and the other wasn't present.

For some good - more like unbelievable - reason, Jason had forgotten something in one of his safe houses and Damian had decided to be nice and get it for him (so as to repay a favor).
He had then shown up with the thing at the mall, and sneakily handed it over to Jason, amidst a crowd of people that was looking at Robin talking to a man thrice his size in broad daylight, at the mall, without attacking, threatening or fighting him.

For the first time Damian felt uncomfortable among all of the looks that screamed 'cute' and 'whut'. It was stupid, but Damian really wished he could just throw a smoke bomb or hide in his father's rather large cape.
He'd heard that's what his siblings had done when they were Robin and feeling unwell. It had become a sign for Batman that they weren't comfortable with the situation or feeling sick by the time Tim had been Robin.

Grayson had told him about the tradition when he was his Batman and, surprisingly, it had helped his father to get accustomed to Damian. Damian wouldn't outright show or speak about how he was feeling, taking it as a sign of weakness, so it was like a show of mutual trust when he started to get closer to his father's cape.
Over time, it became something that they both secretly treasured.

.
.
.
Anyways, since he wasn't able to do that right now he opted to pull his hood up instead. It was a bit bright for him anyway. Or maybe that was just the flashing of Grayson's camera and his blinding smile. No wonder Todd is still wearing the sunglasses, besides it hiding his identity as an illegally alive man. Then again, Damian shouldn't really talk. But he had already given up on the thought, accepting the fact of his family being strange and illogical - he already knew since birth that the entire world was weird.

How else is it possible that he has a half-alien as a friend, is surrounded by people that like to annoy him when he clearly doesn't reciprocate their affection and people are fine with a literal doomsday happening every other month of the year?

Just then he'd received an alarm on his gauntlet. It was a distress signal. Thank Titus, he could finally ditch this place. Jason wouldn't stop 'milking' his uncomfortable look around the civilians, having shaking shoulders and muffled laughter betray his thoughts.

Giving one last look at his older brothers and the pedestrians taking or trying to get a photo of him, he gave an annoyed click of his tongue to Grayson and bolted the teeming mall.

Social media - and Barbara plus father - would be a headache after the day was over.

The distress signal came from an emergency at Wayne Enterprises, Tim's office. To be honest he was planning on ignoring it, but if he helped 'Timothy Drake-Wayne' in broad daylight, by himself, then his father would be proud of him - maybe forget his slip up in the mall - and he'd have something to hold over Drake's head.