Chapter 8

Louis' POV

I looked out the large windows of my chambers at the well-kept garden and knights training, but my mind was in a much different place.

I couldn't stop thinking about her.

A.

I suppose I understood why she didn't want me to see her face, or know her name, but I still felt agitated by it.

I met the first person I met in a long time who doesn't care about my title or wealth-but lucky me! She doesn't want to be with me because I'm the prince. Just my luck.

But what I really don't understand is why? Why wouldn't she want to be with somebody royal? I hate to sound egotistical, but isn't that what everybody wants? To be famous and rich? But then again, A isn't like everybody.

I knocked my forehead lightly on the windowpane in agitation.

Ugh, why did I let her leave? Why didn't I try harder to get her to stay? Show her she was worth it?

No matter. I will find her soon enough. The only problem is how-

"Son? Are you in here?" I turned around to face the person standing at my door.

"Mother. Please, come in." She nodded her head softly and strode into the room, taking a seat on my bed.

"May I help you with something?" I asked. All she did was look at me, then pat the area on the bed beside her. My eyebrows furrowed as I walked over and sat next to her. She was silent for a long moment before she turned her head to look at me.

"So," she began, "who was that woman?" 

My eyes widened. "What woman?" I felt my face begin to heat up slightly, and I wasn't the only one who noticed. My mother smiled. There was no way she knew that there was a woman.

"The one who had your jacket, son." She clarified. Yeah, she knew.

"Oh, her," I laughed awkwardly. "I just met her during the ball and decided to walk in the forest and it was cold, so I gave her my jacket. It was nothing." I tried to play it off, but I knew it wouldn't work.

Unfortunately, I was proven correct as my mother gave me a small grin.

"Don't worry, son. I'm not telling you off or anything like that." She chuckled. "She seems like a nice lady." I felt my eyes furrow again as I looked at my mother.

"What do you mean?"

She gave me a clueless look. "Oh, it was nothing. I just noticed her in the crowd."

"You did?!" I cleared my throat. "My apologies. You did?" She gave me a knowing smile and nodded. I felt a pit of anxiousness as I brought up the courage to ask her another question.

"What did she look like? When I..." I trailed off. She knew what I was talking about.

"She looked shocked, to say the least." She laughed softly. "But not angry, or anything like that. I can't quite describe it. She was blushing profusely when your father asked about your suit jacket though." My elbows laid on my knees as I smiled at the thought. There was a comfortable silence for a few long moments before my mother spoke again.

"Who is she?" She asked quietly.

I smiled. "A."

"That's all you got from her? A?" She laughed. I rolled my eyes.

"Not many people have the nickname 'A'," I mumbled. My mother pats my back gently as she tried to stifle her laughs.

"I know, sweetie," she cleared her throat, "I know."