20: Playing with My Heart

Ben texted me on my break on Saturday, asking if I wanted to go for dinner. But with Friday night still echoing in my head, I shot him down, saying I had a call with my mum. 

Though he was persistent.

He messaged me again on Sunday, asking again if we could go to dinner. This time I lied and said I felt sick and just wanted to go to sleep when I got home.

And when I woke Monday morning, it was no surprise I had a text waiting from him.

Ben: Good morning. Are you goign to the library today?

Me: No, I've finished up there.

Ben: Can we hang out?

Heaving a sigh as his words filled my eyes, my heart panged in sorrow. Yet rather than dealing with my emotions or with him, I simply flipped my phone over and headed for the shower.

But when I exited fifteen minutes later and checked my phone for the time, another text was waiting rom him.

Ben: Olivia?

Reluctantly, I responded.

Me: Why?

Ben: Why what?

Me: Why do you want to see me?

Ben: Because I miss you.

A throbbing ache  of desire glowed in my chest... until I reminded myself that he meant it in the platonic way. 

Placing my phone down for a moment, I took a few deep breaths so that I didn't respond on impulse. 

He's still your friend, Olivia, my shoulder angle said. Just because he doesn't like you doesn't mean you should be mean to him. 

I hated when my conscience was right... and, at least I knew where we stood now compared with before. With another sigh, I picked up my phone once more and fired off a message back. 

Me: What did you have in mind?

Ben: How about shopping?

Me: Shopping???

Ben: I was thinking we could do all those stupid human things you see in movies where we try on ridiculous sun glasses and hats because we don't have anything to get.

Ben: Bad idea?

I smiled and looked away for a moment, shaking my head. Gosh it's going to be hard getting over him. 

Me: Sounds like a lovely idea.

Ben: Great. I'm already on my way to you, by the way. I'll be there in ten minutes.

Eyes growing wide as I read his text, at once, I leapt off my bed. Grabbing the first set of warm clothes from my cupboard, I immediately ran for the bathroom. 

After slapping on some light makeup, I threw my hair into a ponytail. I knew there was no point trying hard to look good for him anymore for him. 

Without glancing in the mirror, I donned my bag and headed out to find him waiting for me right in front of the door.

"Morning," he said, eyes going over me again.

Why does he have to check what I'm wearing every time? my heart lamented.

"Ponytail today. I like it." He gave my hair a little tug.

Wanting to steer clear of compliments and further touch, I quickly said, "Come on. Let's go." Then I began walking towards the tube, keeping my hands crossed over my chest the whole time.