Chapter 12: One Loss, One Triumph

A/N: Sorry for the delay!! I was sick on Friday and forgot to post! Please enjoy today's chapter (we do be almost finished)

~•~

Gwendolyn walked in the snow. Not going anywhere specific, she just needed to be outside. It was too stifling inside. She could barely breathe.

The rest of them followed her closely, all walking in on singular line. Suddenly Gwendolyn stopped and the Dead Poets awaited what she was going to say or do.

"It's really beautiful outside isn't it?" She turned to face them, tears glistening off her cheeks, and though she held a smile, it was unnatural and forced. She turned back around and looked about, before her knees buckled out from underneath her and she fell to the snow.

The group rushed towards her, Todd going first. Gwendolyn was sobbing, rocking back and forth and the Dead Poets all rocked with her, trying to comfort her. They couldn't do much but cling and rock and cry.

"B-before you all woke me...I-I was having a dream." She told them in a thick voice, "Neil—he was dancing and laughing. I asked him what he was doing and he told me he was dancing. Of course, I asked him why. He said "I'm celebrating". "What are you celebrating for?" I asked. And do you know what he said? He-he said..."I'm free Gwen. I'm finally free." She wiped the tears from her face, only for them to replaced by new ones, "I didn't understand. And-and now I do." Her lip trembled.

Todd, while holding Gwendolyn, had just come to a realization of his own, he wrenched away from Gwendolyn and began to dry heave.

"Todd?!" Gwendolyn shouted.

"He wouldn't have done it! It was his father! He wouldn't have left us! His father killed him!" He screamed, clutching his stomach as if he was holding all his emotions, Grief, anger, morose.

Gwendolyn eyes widened as she covered her mouth and felt her stomach flip, "Oh—God..."

The rest of them were confused as they swarmed Todd, trying to calm him.

"No, it couldn't have been!" Pitts argued, "His own father wouldn't have killed him."

"You can't explain it, Todd." Meeks said, attempting to be sensible.

Todd pushed them away and started to sprint through the snow. Gwendolyn stood up to run after him, but Charlie latched onto her arm.

"Leave him be."

Anger surged through Gwendolyn as she snatched her arm back from him, "Like hell I will. He's my boyfriend."

The four boys stared as Gwendolyn chased after Todd who was stretching the distance between them, until he fell, giving Gwendolyn a chance to catch up to him, but he took off again, shouting one singular word that made each of their hearts break.

"NEIL!!"

***

"The death of Neil Perry is a tragedy." Mr. Nolan stated solemnly. Gwendolyn felt like she was going to be sick, "He was a fine student. One of Welton's best. And he will be missed. We've contacted each of your parents to explain the situation." Gwendolyn knew her father already knew, "Naturally they're all quite concerned. At the request of Neil's family, I intend to conduct a through enquiry into this matter. Your complete cooperation is expected."

 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐓𝐄 𝐑𝐈𝐁𝐁𝐎𝐍 ~ 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐏𝐨𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐒𝐨𝐜𝐢𝐞𝐭𝐲On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara