Chapter 7: Todd's Half-Bad Birthday

~•~

"No grades at stake gentleman. Just take a stroll." Mr. Keating instructed to the three boys, Cameron, Pitts and Knox as they walked around the courtyard. Gwendolyn rocked side to side, not entirely focusing on the boys, but instead taking time to analyze the surrounding area, from the number of branches on the tree to each individual crack in the concrete. Gwendolyn often enjoyed focusing on minuscule things. "There it is." Mr. Keating said as the trio fell into sync, every step mirroring each other. The group started to clap in time to the boys steps.

"I don't know, but I've been told!" Mr. Keating sung.

"I don't know, but I've been told!" They repeated.

"Doing poetry is old!"

"Left, left, left, right, left, left halt!" The boys stopped abruptly. "Thank you gentlemen...if you noticed, everyone started off with their own stride, their own pace. Mr. Pitts, taking his time. He knew he'll get there one day. Mr. Cameron, you thinking, "Is this right? It might be right. I know that—maybe not. I don't know." Mr, Overstreet's, driven by a deeper force," Mr. Keating walked, his pelvis forward. Laughter broke out, echoing off Welton Academy's walls, "Yes we know that. All right, now, I didn't bring them up here to ridicule them. I brought them up here to illustrate the point of conformity. The difficulty in maintaining your own beliefs in the face of others. Now those of you, I see the look in your eyes, think "I would have walked differently" Well, ask yourselves why you were clapping."

"Now, we all have a great need for acceptance." Mr. Keating continued, "But you must trust that your beliefs are unique, your own. Even though others may think them odd or unpopular. Even though the herd may go, "That's baa-d." He bleated, like a sheep, earning a few chuckles, "Robert Frost said, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." Now I want you to find your own walk right now. Your own way of striding, pacing. Any direction, anything you want. Whether it's proud, whether it's silly, anything. The courtyard is yours."

The group began to separate and walk around, some striding normally, some being silly and doing funny walks. Gwendolyn decided to walk with a tiny hop in between each step, like a lazier version of skipping. She smiled at the ground, thinking she looked ridiculous but no one paid her mind.

"Mr. Dalton, will you be joining us?" Mr. Keating asked Charlie who was leaning up against the stone pillar, one hand in his pants pocket.

He smirked, "Exercising the right not to walk."

"Thank you, Mr. Dalton. You just illustrated the point. Swim against the stream!"

Gwendolyn continued to walk, glancing around trying to find a certain face in the crowd. She spotted the person she was searching for, not his face, but his hair. Todd was walking, his head down with his dirty blonde hair shielding his face from everyone else. His hands were stuck in his pockets, looking like he didn't have an ounce of confidence in his body.

Inwardly, Gwendolyn felt bad. Social anxiety was something that was often overlooked.

Gwendolyn began to think of different ways to help him with it.

***

"Todd? Is that you?" Gwendolyn asked the boy sitting on the ground, his knees pulled up to his chest. Beside him lay a package, the wrapping half ripped open.

"Huh? Oh...hey." He said shyly.

"Hey...what's going on?" Gwendolyn asked stepping towards him. She was planning on going to her dorm and read a book or finish her chemistry homework all while secretly snacking on the bag of crisps she had and drinking a cup of honey-lemon tea. It sounded like a relaxing night to her.